Ways to improve PPC mac performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DBAlex, Nov 19, 2006.

1. DBAlex macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2006
    Ive got a PPC Mac Mini 1.5ghz with 512mb RAM, Ive owned it for just about a year now... but its starting to feel a bit sluggish (well it has for a while now) And I want to know ways to improve the speed...

I've tried disabling parts of OSX like Dashboard and window shadows but it hasn't really helped... I was thinking of doing a ram upgrade to 1gb, but will this really improve performance or will it just let me have more applications open at once? if I get 1gb ram will my mini feel more responsive?

Thanks for any help... I cant believe in 1 year this mac is basically obselete... hehe ;) :rolleyes:
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Ram upgrade will make everything faster,more responsive. 512 is a little weak but since you only have 1 slot 1Gb or 2 will speed it up without a doubt. Our Mini needs the same bump also.
  3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    A) MaXdArAm
    B) Upgrade the HDD to a 7200rpm/16mb cache unit
    C) Buy a new machine :p
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Your max RAM on the PPC Mini G4 is 1 Gb, no reason not to do that unless you're gonna ditch the machine.

Other than that, while a 7200 RPM drive will give you a bit of a lift, it's debatable whether the cost of the drive and trouble to install would be worth it, when you could get a 250 Gb 7200 external and a Firewire case for the same money roughly.