Ways to keep a long-distance relationship exciting?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BurtonCCC, Mar 24, 2007.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I think we should have a thread to share recommendations on how to keep it interesting. I'm only a two-hour drive from my girlfriend because we're going to different schools. I'm aware this isn't as bad as it could be because I do see her a lot, but I think it still classifies as long-distance.

This is a recommendation I read once and I think it's a wonderful idea:

Buy the board game Battleship. Keep one set of pieces and a game board for yourself and give the other pieces and board to your other half. Play over the phone or with a web cam.

Anybody have any other ideas? Even if you aren't in a long-distance relationship currently and you have been in the past, please share your ideas so we can all have some more successful relationships. :)

Dan.

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

tell her you lvoe her..and do EVERYTHING possible to make her happy..thinko f her and not you:) is my best advice from person experience.. iwas in a long distance relationship for quite some time....and let me tell you....please make stuff happen:apple:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"I slowly move my hands from your breasts, down your body towards your hips. My fingers gently brush against your upper thighs."

"Baby, you sunk my battleship!"

4. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Hey Dan,

How about writing her letters? Like real letters, on paper. It's awfully nice to get snail mail unexpectedly. :cool:

MM

5. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

6. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Find a local girl and make sure she understands what casual means.

8. AlexGFX88 macrumors member

Exactly what I was thinking ... Especially when leopard is released and iChat supports effects like photo bucket(The twirl effect might be fun.....) :-O

Cheers,
    Alex

9. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

10. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Well, well, well. This went dirty quick. :eek:

Daniel.

11. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Well dont all these threads, but yes this went dirtier quicker than usual. :D

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Tell me more !!!;)

FJ

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Seriously. This is an awesome way to keep a long distance relationship going. You'll find your writing getting more poetic and intimate the more you write. I turn into a total sap with pen and paper. :p

That and travel. Travel is good.

When you do travel to visit her, write a letter on the plane/train/automobile on the way there (it will kill time), then (secretly) slip it into her stuff to find once you've left.:)

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm sorry, but Battleship? I fail to see how that keeps a relationship exciting. It just seems like a way to pass time. And really, how many times can you play Battleship and still have it be "exciting"?

I'm in a long distance relationship right now, and I have to agree with the other people here. I don't know how we would have survived without a webcam, and letters are great. But heck, you're only two hours away from each other. I say invest in a car and go see her every weekend and screw the whole Battleship thing.

I'm sorry, but I can't get off the Battleship thing. Can someone please explain to me how that keeps a relationship exciting?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Battleship's more exciting if you use iSights and you have to ingest your pieces as they're lost, without using your mouth.

16. bartelby macrumors Core

That's what I was going to suggest.

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Don't be in a hurry to get of the phone, wait for long moments of silence before ending a call. And let her know that you're so glad you trust her, cuz as hot as she is you'd be going crazy with jealousy if you worried about who might be trying to steal her away.;)

A Hotel at the halfway point makes for a nice weekend away for both of you!

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm in virtually the same situation! Caroline lives over in Stoke (uni), it's about an hour or 2 to drive down, but when you don't drive yourself and bus & train combo's are a bleedin rip off and you're both living off student loads. It's difficult but we've survived 3 years like this. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder, I'll be hyped for days when we plan on meeting up. That huge amount of excitement really helps.

But yea! Tips... We ring at least twice a day. One call just before bed (maybe it's me, but I find a talk before sleep really helps me nod off). The occasional game of Tetris DS on wifi (we're both addicts).

That letter idea sounds fantastic... think I'll try that myself!

19. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

:eek:

That was wildly inappropriate! And yet, somehow intriguing... ;)