Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I've been under the impression this entire time that this show was a one time mini series event. I'm going to be very disappointed if there is a second season and it drags on.

I think to get through all three books (season 1 is into second book from what I gather), then a second season should wrap it up. I don't know how they are going to reintroduce what appears to be the second most important character, Sheriff Pope, to this all unless they are androids, clones, or self-replicating andriods but I haven't read the books or spoilers.

It seems like at least some are human and they can deeply, cryogenically freeze them over and over and for extremely long periods of time. On some level, too, they are able to program brains and can make people forget most of the prior memories giving Pilcher a major advantage.

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
With all due respect @63dot you seem overly focused on Terrence Howard. I think his character is truly gone. I could be wrong, but big actors have been known to take smaller parts just because they wanted to be a part of a project. Do you have any firm evidence that he will be in future episodes and not in the form of a flashback as we have seen thus far this season?

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
With all due respect @63dot you seem overly focused on Terrence Howard. I think his character is truly gone. I could be wrong, but big actors have been known to take smaller parts just because they wanted to be a part of a project. Do you have any firm evidence that he will be in future episodes and not in the form of a flashback as we have seen thus far this season?

I may be taking him too much into account, but Sheriff Pope, whoever plays him, is the main villain in all three books.

You have Pilcher, the villain in a sense, who still wants the best for the town but may not know how to carry that out. The first town, who was told the truth, turned into a disaster so he's trying everything. The nurse, his sister, started out as the bad character (next to the sheriff) but she's taken a softer side, first since Ethan was rescued with the helicopter, and then as an advocate for the security watchers behind the scenes offering herself up to be punished instead.

Pope was one truly twisted character who seemed to get joy in being a dictator so who is there to root against? It's just that someone who read the books mentioned he's in all three on this thread.

If screenwriters have changed this and written Pope out of first book in three books, then they could make the teacher the main bad character but she would have to gain full power or be the evil behind Pilcher, the nurse, and Pope which I find unlikely. She's just a player in all of this and trying to support Pilcher.

Any thoughts of having Kate Hewson or Harold Ballinger be the main villain is not plausible since they are trying to escape (not knowing about abbies).

And maybe there's an abbie running everything, or maybe one of the humans shape shifts (like in the TV show "V") from human to abbie and is the main bad guy.

Lastly, though I don't see how, the kids could be running the show and the adults are just secondary in Wayward Pines.

I have resisted reading any short synopsis of the three books so I really don't know who is the bad guy, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out who the hero is, if there is even a good guy. If there are not clear good guys, then it's kind of spicy in a "L.A. Confidential" way.

Last edited:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The new sheriff Ethan Hawk is clearly the new hero. He did say he would do whatever it took including putting Pilcher in his place.

Don't think he has any alliance.

I still think the abbie's are clones gone bad.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
The new sheriff Ethan Hawk is clearly the new hero. He did say he would do whatever it took including putting Pilcher in his place.

Don't think he has any alliance.

I still think the abbie's are clones gone bad.

That makes sense since Pilcher has a pet abby in his lab.

When Sheriff Pope got killed, it was the abbies who took his body away. Somehow I think some abbies work for Pilcher.

While Burke seems to be doing bad stuff and working with Pilcher, I think it's only to buy time before he can come up with a way to overtake him. I say he gets with nurse and takes down Pilcher.

But Pilcher probably has a lot of hidden allies in town since it is him who brainwashed them in the first place. We shall see some resolution in next two weeks or show will keep us with cliffhanger for next season.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
That makes sense since Pilcher has a pet abby in his lab.

When Sheriff Pope got killed, it was the abbies who took his body away. Somehow I think some abbies work for Pilcher.

While Burke seems to be doing bad stuff and working with Pilcher, I think it's only to buy time before he can come up with a way to overtake him. I say he gets with nurse and takes down Pilcher.

But Pilcher probably has a lot of hidden allies in town since it is him who brainwashed them in the first place. We shall see some resolution in next two weeks or show will keep us with cliffhanger for next season.

I know this might sound racists but it's not meant to be.

The abbie he has locked up is Black. Same as Sheriff Pope.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I know this might sound racists but it's not meant to be.

The abbie he has locked up is Black. Same as Sheriff Pope.

It could be Pope. Maybe when people die they become abbies and it could be how our DNA evolved to survive anything. We are immortal.

Remember when Pope got killed it appeared abbies came in and took the body. Given enough time, if we don't mate quickly enough, the abbies then outnumber us. Remember how the teacher is pushing even the very young to hook up and create babies.

Here's a theory about the dead Sheriff Pope.

So when he gets run over by Ethan's son and shot dead by Ethan, the abbies come from inside the wall and take his body away. First I thought they were raptors, but they are abbies. But since humans never die and turn into abbies, Pilcher takes Pope's dead human body (who is now slowly turning into an abbie) and puts him in the lab.

When Pope is fully transformed like a zombie from dead human into abby, he becomes wild and doesn't recognize Pilcher or any of the humans.

Pilcher being the scientist is keeping the abby version of Pope in the lab and furiously trying to come up with a cure and bring him back to his human state again. Pilcher must be close to a cure in turning abbies back into human beings because the abby is not currently in deep freeze mode.

This explains why in the previous episode we saw the abby in Pilcher's lab being kept alive and not exterminated. That could even be actor Terrence Howard all done up in abby makeup acting like a wild animal ready to kill any human who gets too close. Come to think of it, that abbie in the lab looks like Terrence Howard.

Last edited:

Jmona

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Here's a theory about the dead Sheriff Pope.

So when he gets run over by Ethan's son and shot dead by Ethan, the abbies come from inside the wall and take his body away. First I thought they were raptors, but they are abbies. But since humans never die and turn into abbies, Pilcher takes Pope's dead human body (who is now slowly turning into an abbie) and puts him in the lab.

When Pope is fully transformed like a zombie from dead human into abby, he becomes wild and doesn't recognize Pilcher or any of the humans.

Pilcher being the scientist is keeping the abby version of Pope in the lab and furiously trying to come up with a cure and bring him back to his human state again. Pilcher must be close to a cure in turning abbies back into human beings because the abby is not currently in deep freeze mode.

This explains why in the previous episode we saw the abby in Pilcher's lab being kept alive and not exterminated. That could even be actor Terrence Howard all done up in abby makeup acting like a wild animal ready to kill any human who gets too close. Come to think of it, that abbie in the lab looks like Terrence Howard.

I would like to concur but I have read the books and trust me. Pope is DEAD and NOT coming back. And no. That specimen Pilcher has is NOT Pope but just an abby they were able to get hold off.
In the book actually Pope was left in town OUTSIDE THE WALL to be killed by the abbys, ordered by Pilcher so that Ethan would become sheriff and if he declined, Teresa and their son who were asleep in the back of the helicopter, would be left with their bgs, a couple of weapons and some food so they could survive out there on their own with Ethan, and that is how Ethan became Sheriff because when Pope wanted to come back to the helicopter, Pilcher said nastily "He can't be sheriff, he wants to rule" so ordered the pilot to take off as the clinging Hope was devoured by abbies.

I recommend you all to have a read at the books. They are quite enlightening and possibly scientifically accurate.
The books are AWE-MAZING. Take my word. Even my husband who ABHORS reading was so interested in the series after we started watching, he couldn't take it so he bought the Audiobooks at least to be in the loop. I read them a couple of years ago and was excited to see the series in motion but I wont deny there are quite a lot of changes that I'm not fond off. But there again, the series makes for good TV so I'll stop here because then I'll spoil it and that's the last thing I want. :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wikipedia states that the TV show was in development while the books were still being written, so it's clear that there will be differences.

I intern to read the books once the TV show is over.

B

Jmona

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Wikipedia states that the TV show was in development while the books were still being written, so it's clear that there will be differences.

I intern to read the books once the TV show is over.

B
Pines and Wayward were already written and by the time production started, Blake Crouch was in the process of finishing The Last Town. You should read them now though. It is a heck of a read and would understand many unanswered questions from the first 7 episodes. We are going on 8 I believe and as they go, they are leaving important stuff behind.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You should read them now though.

I'm generally happier separating media. I don't like reading a book at the same time as watching a show as it makes me focus on the differences. When I finish one before starting the other, I can put that aside more easily.

B

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
TV or movie being different than book? How different?:

I remember reading the book "Absolute Power" which was great but when the movie came out, they left out a major character (similar to leaving out someone like Pilcher or Sheriff Pope for Wayward Pines) and it wrecked it for the movie for me. I was pissed at director/producer Clint Eastwood and it was one of the first movies I saw him make and it made me think that Eastwood was not cut out for this. It would take Gran Torino and Jersey Boys to make me realize Eastwood was a good director after all.

I do think Absolute Power is a good movie if you didn't read the book. I like Wayward Pines well enough but if I read the book, and there's huge stuff left out, I don't think I would have made it past a few episodes. Sometimes a movie is well received by the public but the producers/directors of the movie believe there was so much more that could have been done and they go into a better project. While the movie Saving Private Ryan did well, it was way off the mark of the story and vibe that they wanted to tell that war is hell and that there are actual people who fought in this so the masterpiece Band of Brothers was made. There's just no comparison and if there's any movie or series that goes into only the fine details a book can offer, yet not make you bored, then Band of Brothers is as close as I have seen. By the time I finished seeing Band of Brothers, I felt like I actually read a long and well detailed novel.

I want to guess that those who read Wayward Pines probably think the TV series is nothing more than a glorified trailer of the book. Sad, really. With ten hours for TV, one would think you can at least give some attention to all the ideas and not leave out the big stuff.

To keep things into a regular two or three hour time frame, the movie version of Absolute Power condensed things to make the movie flow nicely, but I think Eastwood could have done better in keeping with main points. From what spoilers I have now read about Wayward Pines, the TV series missed big on a few main points and this is unacceptable. I think this error of making a TV series or movie and then leaving out major characters and events is commonplace and they may do so thinking most of the viewers have no idea that there is a book so there's nobody to offend.

I think if there was ever a movie that was big in its opening and highly anticipated but pissed off the readers of the work, it had to be Dune.

In the end the best that could happen is that the book is accepted and critically acclaimed (and it is) and the TV series is also popular and critically acclaimed, but the public knows that they are two entirely different things and stand on their own for their own merits. I know people who can accept differences and still like Interview with a Vampire on the pages and on the screen.

Last edited:

Jmona

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
TV or movie being different than book? How different?:

I want to guess that those who read Wayward Pines probably think the TV series is nothing more than a glorified trailer of the book. Sad, really. With ten hours for TV, one would think you can at least give some attention to all the ideas and not leave out the big stuff.

From what spoilers I have now read about Wayward Pines, the TV series missed big on a few main points and this is unacceptable. I think this error of making a TV series or movie and then leaving out major characters and events is commonplace and they may do so thinking most of the viewers have no idea that there is a book so there's nobody to offend.

I think if there was ever a movie that was big in its opening and highly anticipated but pissed off the readers of the work, it had to be Dune.

In the end the best that could happen is that the book is accepted and critically acclaimed (and it is) and the TV series is also popular and critically acclaimed, but the public knows that they are two entirely different things and stand on their own for their own merits. I know people who can accept differences and still like Interview with a Vampire on the pages and on the screen.

One I actually NEVER not once said the series was bad. Not once so I don't get where you say those of us who have read the books think it's a glorified trailer.
The series itself is amazing. And if you open your mind enough to it, several things on the main story and not the sub or third plots, hits home.
Yes. I am aware there will be things that are changed in the series ie game of thrones as an example, but little things that have been left out on the TV series were major turning points on the books. So that is my only complaint.
About dune, I knew Herbert. I know his son and the Co-Author who is KJA is my best friend Jess' father in law. They did what they could with the movie when it first came out in the 80's considering the very little budget it had and I believe if it was adapted today for a reboot, something amazing could be done considering all the stories that Kevin and Brian his son.

I could point out the many mistakes made on several movies not following context from the arcs but I'd deviate myself from the subject of this thread so I'll just leave it at that.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
One I actually NEVER not once said the series was bad. Not once so I don't get where you say those of us who have read the books think it's a glorified trailer.
The series itself is amazing. And if you open your mind enough to it, several things on the main story and not the sub or third plots, hits home.
Yes. I am aware there will be things that are changed in the series ie game of thrones as an example, but little things that have been left out on the TV series were major turning points on the books. So that is my only complaint.
About dune, I knew Herbert. I know his son and the Co-Author who is KJA is my best friend Jess' father in law. They did what they could with the movie when it first came out in the 80's considering the very little budget it had and I believe if it was adapted today for a reboot, something amazing could be done considering all the stories that Kevin and Brian his son.

I could point out the many mistakes made on several movies not following context from the arcs but I'd deviate myself from the subject of this thread so I'll just leave it at that.

Not you but there's a lot of detractors online concerning the series and saying how it's not the book and therefore the series is awful. I haven't read the detailed spoilers but where you talk about the turning points being left out, that's a specific complaint, but then again this happens a lot when a book comes to screen.

But I like to think it's okay to be different in places and still tell a good story.

Wayward is not great, but it's not bad, either. I watch great stuff like Empire (with it's amazing 17 millions viewers) but also follow very sorry stuff like The Royals (1 million viewers) and in the end it's all fun to me. I watch WP either on the day or I see it within a couple of days on in demand. There's good and bad and while not likely to go down in history like Twin Peaks, this review points out pros and cons pretty well:

http://areyouscreening.com/2015/04/28/television/wayward-pines-review-tv-fox

Last edited:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've been under the impression this entire time that this show was a one time mini series event. I'm going to be very disappointed if there is a second season and it drags on.
Just finished tonight's episode and the preview for next week described the next episode as the "series finale". I'm glad to know that we will get some closure and not a cliffhanger.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
It seems simple that now all in town know truth and Abbie's are going to attack and there will be a battle.

Kate now is with Ethan and even the nurse is going against Pilcher so it looks like a wrap. If it's all solved then little reason for season 2.

When Abbie's were introduced then battle was inevitable as finale.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I like the show, but one part of it that I'm not buying is
the dichotomy between David Pilcher, savior and protector of mankind, and David Pilcher, the guy whose ruthless rules sanction lynch mobs. I know he's supposed to be doing this for "the greater good", but his two sides are so different.

And even more hard to believe is Nurse Pam, the psychotic who was ready to let Ethan be operated on without anesthesia and who pushed the aforementioned lynch mobs, and Nurse Pam, the caring person who suddenly feels for the townspeople and who thinks her brother has gone too far.

The two characters have pretty much switched roles, and they've done it amazingly fast. Babylon 5 also had heroes who became villains and villains who became heroes, but they did it over the course of three or four or five full seasons. You could watch them slowly change, as they questioned their motives or succumbed to temptation. The radical personality changes I'm seeing here are, in a ten episode series, of necessity fast, but for the same reason very hard to swallow.

My guess would be that in the books these things happen more subtly and over a much longer period of time. Is that the case?

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I like the show, but one part of it that I'm not buying is
the dichotomy between David Pilcher, savior and protector of mankind, and David Pilcher, the guy whose ruthless rules sanction lynch mobs. I know he's supposed to be doing this for "the greater good", but his two sides are so different.

And even more hard to believe is Nurse Pam, the psychotic who was ready to let Ethan be operated on without anesthesia and who pushed the aforementioned lynch mobs, and Nurse Pam, the caring person who suddenly feels for the townspeople and who thinks her brother has gone too far.

The two characters have pretty much switched roles, and they've done it amazingly fast. Babylon 5 also had heroes who became villains and villains who became heroes, but they did it over the course of three or four or five full seasons. You could watch them slowly change, as they questioned their motives or succumbed to temptation. The radical personality changes I'm seeing here are, in a ten episode series, of necessity fast, but for the same reason very hard to swallow.

My guess would be that in the books these things happen more subtly and over a much longer period of time. Is that the case?

Excellent points. I too think that the changes were not convincing and to me, poorly and hastily done.

If the season plays out how I think, then it was a waste. If there are really big secrets left, something alien or android like, then I will stay interested. With so many years passed by there has to be some futuristic technology in here not known to us. And how are so-called next generation abbies so stupid to the point they can't go over or under fence?

Userbrandon

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2015
Wha?!?!?!?
I was expecting some sort of explanation on how Pilcher was in the real world/old world talking to Ethan's old partner. Any helps for me?

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
How was it some abbies took Sheriff Pope's body away (inside the fence) after Ethan shot him?

They could have ended things OK until they had the scene with Ben waking up a few years later only to find there was the same situation with different bad guys. This isn't a good way to set up season 2 and there shouldn't have been a season 2.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I don't think there is a season 2.

Nothing has been confirmed but ratings were good enough. It was not a runaway hit, yet it didn't get cancelled mid-season either.

Like a lot of shows that initially got a lot of attention, it lost steam and probably was a slap in the face of a good series of books (according to reviews of books versus TV show). I think this makes me interested enough in reading them though and being able to enjoy just what is good about this story and these characters. The original book readers are awash in hate right now and I don't think the last half an hour of the episode did anyone any favors.

Let's say they turned on the fence, so what? The abbies got in and are all over the town.

The best end would have been epic battle between remaining townspeople and abbies and a resolution right then and there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.