WC3 Full screen on MBP?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mikeyPotg, May 2, 2006.

1. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Sorry if this has been asked. I tried searching for it, but to no avail.

Is there any way you can play Warcraft 3: RoC/TFT on full screen mode on a MBP? Or any widescreen monitor for that matter?

I really just can't play the game widescreen. I'd much prefer to have the black bars going down the left and right side. Its set that way for Dawn of War and its awesome (in XP mode).

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I'm not sure if you can or not. But I don't think I would consider having black bars on either side of the screen as running it in full screen mode. It is running at full screen when it is running in widescreen, utilizing the entire screen. You'll just have to play around with the video settings in WC3 and get your answer.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

huh? You should be able to set the resolution to 1440x900 in the preferences..

You could also set the resolution to 1024x768 or something similar and it might run with the black bars or it might stretch it (and look bad). I'm not sure how you can force it to do one or the other.

I don't understand why you can't play widescreen... it literally just adds more viewable area on each side of the screen, which is a huge advantage over normal 4:3.

4. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I just installed WC III on my pbook, and it supports the wide screen resolution of 1280x854 and probably higher.

But doesn't the mbp have a strange resolution?
    Slightly less pixels in height than the pbook?

That could be your problem.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

why would you want to play it in a 4:3 ratio? (or "fullscreen" as you incorrectly call it)
    having it widescreen, as someone mentioned, just adds a little extra to the left and right side.

it's the same with movies, widescreen shows you more of the picture than "fullscreen" does, which many people still do not understand.

sorry if i misread your question, but you should be able to play it fullscreen (i.e. widescreen), it's this bit that's confusing to me in your post. you'd rather play it 4:3 than 16:9 right?

6. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

okay sorry about the "full screen" mistake, and yes I did mean 4:3 and not 16:9. In my opinion, its just too awkward for me to play in wide screen mode. I feel like it shrinks the height of the viewing field and it just doesnt feel right.

I played a few games on bnet, and it really seemed to look different. I couldn't see as much of the playing field as you would think because its stretched out, yet the bottom interface still takes up so much. Its just awkward.

Anyway, I've adjusted just about all of the resolution settings and never got the black bars. Thanks for the suggestions though.

7. DeadPrez macrumors newbie

Are you guys running under Boot Camp or OS X?

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you are running at your native resolution (like 1440x900 for a MBP) then it is not stretching the picture. It is rendering everything at the widescreen, so it is showing you more information in that area. Anything else is just in your head :p

9. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Actually, that is not true. The field of vision in Warcraft 3 is fixed a 4:3. It will run at 16:10 but you do not see any more than what you do in 1400x1050. In fact, I can't stand to run mine at 1680x1050 because everything IS obviously stretched. You can get a good feel for the differences here. Select Warcraft 3 and you will see to nearly identical screenshots. One in 4:3 and the other in "16:10". Notice how the FOV is unchanged.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Weird. I never noticed the difference. Its really not that big of a difference, but I suppose if you are that neurotic it might drive you crazy.

11. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I am that neurotic and then some.

12. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

Those comparisons seem as you loose some height, but gain some width for your visible area.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, as mentioned, it's the same view, just "flattened". Nothing more or less is seen. Same stuff, just skewed aspect ratio.

I've only ever played in widescreen mode, so it doesn't bother me, but, yes, it's meant to be 4:3 and I don't know how to fix the issue - and the only fix would be the black bars on the sides....

14. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

If you compare the two shots, look for the orange leaves on the left side of the screen by the "level 5" meter... in the 4:3 you cant see them at all.

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Looks the same to me (in terms of content - obviously, aspect ratio is different).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, WC3 DOES NOT support proper widescreen resolutions. It stretches the game to display at 16:10 ratio.

17. mikeyPotg thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks much for all the replies. that really sucks for me though. I'm just so used to playing rts's in 4:3 and the "extra room" just doesn't sit right with me. It also adds more room to move my mouse around with. Not to sound "neurotic", but it kinda throws off my game since I'm so used to how the units are placed and where exactly to move my mouse in a 4:3 set up vs getting used to a 16:9 or 16:10.

Bummer, but thanks again!

18. DeadPrez macrumors newbie

Is anyone running Warcraft III under OS X on a MacBook Pro and if so, are you getting "perfect" game play or something else? I am most concerned about the cosistency of the mouse response and the framerate during battles, especially large battles. Both of these seem subpar by "Windows" standards, at least in my testing.

19. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

It's the same resolution as the old 17" PowerBook.