WD 500GB External HD - Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HelixOmnimedia, Jan 16, 2007.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Hello,

I've just received my Western Digital 500GB My Book Pro Edition external hard drive.

I've followed the basic installation instruction inside it and it's mounted on my desktop.

I just have a couple of questions about it:

1) There are files in the 'My Book' icon. (see pic below). The three icons (not the one called MAC) for windows purposes are 178MB, 138MB and 32kb - are these files needed or can they be dragged to the trash?
    [​IMG]

2) Is that it? (probably a stupid question).
    Do I just start dragging the files I want to store externally into the "My Book" icon? Do I or should I do anything else to it before I start moving files?

The My Book will mainly be used to hold the movies and tv shows which I've downloaded through iTunes.

THANKS for any help.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

1) Yes you can delete the Windows only stuff if you're not planning to connect it to a Windows box. It probably includes some backup software or similar.

2) Yes you can start using it straight away. However if you're only going to be using it with a Mac you might want to consider reformatting it at HFS+ (with Disk Utility), this means things like file permissions will be stored. However you won't be able to connect it to a PC (without reformatting it again).

Copy the Mac folder off first before you reformat it!

3. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

It'll never be connected to a Windows computer, I don't see me going back to one anytime soon.

Again, only using it with Mac. Should the reformatting be done? and if so how would i go about doing this?
    And I've already copied the MAC folder into a CD thought it would be handy to keep an extra copy.

THANKS

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Select the Western Digital volume

click the Erase tab

5. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

In the Erase Tab it gives Volume Format. There are different options.
    [​IMG]

Which one do I select?

THANKS

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000