WD Raptor 74GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pegano, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Pegano macrumors newbie

My question is, to any of you who already own one of these: Are the reports of a constant high-pitched whine emanating from the drive accurate, and to what degree? Thanks for the help in advance. :D

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I second this question. I've been thinking about putting 2 in Strip RAID for SPEED :p

3. brap macrumors 68000

I third (well, I only want a pair of 36Gb drives for an OS partition, but still, noise).
    I have some Seagate Cheetahs in a server I've got lying around, and yes, those 10k suckers are awfully loud. Hoping WD get it right...

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I have a friend who has 2 36GB drives in a RAID.

From what he tells me: He orderd 2 HDs and one of them occasonially made a high piched noise. He sent them back, got a new one, and hasn't had any problems with either of them.

It's appearently hit or miss.

Try reading some of the rewiews at newegg.

5. Pegano thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks to you all. I'm looking forward to having one of these bad boys as a boot drive. VROOM VROOM! :eek:

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I have the 74 gig raptor as a boot drive. It is significantly faster and quieter. I got the 74 gig raptor becuase the seek time was faster the the 36 gig. I got my drive from newegg for $200, I highly recomend it for all G5 owners.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hey Laslo-

How has the Raptor been treating you in your months since writing into this thread? Any new whining coming from it? Any other problems/difficulties?

8. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I have a 74gig Raptor in my PC and I can't hear it at all. I used it to replace 3 10,000 rpm SCSI drives and this drive is barely audible. Nice drive over all, you can get it at Newegg now for about $160.

9. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Every 10K RPM HD I've ever seen makes this noise, I've yet to test my raptor.

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hey! Thanks for the info! I was looking at OWC and almost shelled out $210! You saved me a bit of a cash-- :)

k