WD Raptor slower than WD RE2?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Simon R., Feb 7, 2007.

1. Simon R. macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2006
    I just installed and Carbon Copied my mac pro system disk to a Raptor 150GB drive because I wanted a speedier system drive. And while booting is faster and it generally does seem faster, when I run a benchmark test in BlackMagics Speed Disk program, this drive runs slower than my WD 500GB RE2 drive by about 20-30%!??! Also, it makes a lof of noise when accessing, which nobody mentioned in reviews. Anything I can do about that? Is it possible maybe to change its physical management somehow? I only see utilities for fiddling with that on PC.
  2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Ofcourse it makes more noise, it spins faster! As for the speed, for larger files it will be faster because of the faster rpm. But for small files, seek time is more important, maybe your WD is faster in accessing the data then the Raptor.
  3. Simon R. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2006
    Actually it is faster at accessing (the Raptor), obviously, because it spins faster. I can reboot my Mac Pro in 10 seconds now. Also, in XBench, all benchmarks are on par with or surpassing the WD RE. So well..:)

About the noise. I am not talking about idle noise - its as silent as the others, actually causing less vibration. But the seek noise is like 3 times louder and very noticable even from 5 meters distance.
  4. nurfen macrumors member

Jan 21, 2007
    Seeking noise is the main reason to buy Seagate disks.......

Sorry dude, you can't change it.
  5. flir67 macrumors 6502

Jun 23, 2005
    I had a 36gb raptor it was loud also during speed up then whine of the drive while being used . try to do a data throughoutput of datatest on it . it should have a steady decline of mb/s then shoot backup to the top and repeat about every 5 or 7 seconds. thats how the 36gb worked for me.

I've read that the raptor 150's are slower than the orginals...

best of luck