We can upgrade any...to an Intel 2.0 GHz

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Oct 17, 2003.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think you'll find this amusing.

For several weeks now, the very local newspaper has been running an advertisement for the very local computer store. It claims, as you see in the attachment, that the can upgrade any computer for $399.

I was thinking of taking one of my old Atari 8-bit machines or maybe my Macintosh Performa 476 to them for an upgrade. I'm all about the details and I think they will be too, if I decide to do it. :D

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Interesting...seems like they are a bit outdated if they are advertising an upgrade to 2 GHz, though.

OT, but, I'm guessing by the 407 area code that you are near the Orlando area? I remember when I first moved to West Palm, we had 407 until a couple of years later they had to reissue and we got 561 and I believe Orlando got 407.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that I would rather use my Mac with Virtual PC installed. It is a great emulation software.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not as great as the real thing running at 2 GHz, though. It'd be a pretty good deal compared in price to getting MS Office Professional w/ VPC.

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Personaly experience has shown me that it worked fine for testing webpages to see if they will well on both platforms. Other then that i would rather stick a rusty nail through my eye. LOL:D

Note: that was under OS 9 and running VPC 3.0 - maybe version 6 is better - but based on what my reseller told me, it's not.

But if you like it, who am i to tell you different

7. jadariv macrumors regular

They will just slap a 2 Ghz celeron on a cheap mother board with a 20 gb hard drive and 256 mb of ram and put it in some cheap case. They won't upgrade your actual computer just replace it.

8. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Have you been there or are you just making a random generalisation?

Powerbook G5:

Yes, I'm quite near Orlando. There are two area codes specifically for this area now: 407 and 321 (blastoff), but 386 (fun) and 352 are close too.

9. jadariv macrumors regular

I've never been there. This was just an educated guess based on the ad. If you think about, those specs are about right for the machine I described.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

he's right. they'll replace your computer with a bare bones system, it sounds better this way. plus, they more than likely get your old computer.

pnw

edit: by the way, i wonder what percentage of businesses in florda are called "palm tree"? especially since in iowa everything's "heartland"...

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Up here everything is either "Ponce" this or "Ponce" that and in Palm Beach everything is Palm something.

12. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Ugh. It sounds like Colorado. Everything out here is "Rocky Mountain" or some BS-two-word-California-housing-developer schlock like "Cactus Creek" or "Mountain Wind" or "Sunny Midget". Gag.

And I feel sorry for the poor saps that may have fallen for that ad. That rusty nail idea sounds pretty good right now.

13. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

In my hometown of Port Angeles, Washington, on the majestic Olympic peninsula, everything was "Olympic" this or that. I never got annoyed with it because, growing up there, I got fully used to it and thought it was normal, and therefore never gave it a second thought until now.

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Haha, take the Atari in and say you need an upgrade.

But then tell them 'I still need it running my old software so don't replace the OS'

:p

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Wow - and that price is way too high.....

The p4 2GHz processor only costs $150.00

at least at newegg

scem0

16. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

we can upgrade any midget for just $399.

17. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes well if it is an ancient computer they might have to replace a LOT more then just the CPU... like the whole computer.

:p

18. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

You're forgetting that people work for money and the stores require money for food. ;)

Not many of the stores have Palm in the name here. Since this is central Floriduh, there's no real identity. You'll also see a few with Sun or Sun State or Citrus or Orange.

19. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My uncle lives in Citrus Springs, Florida, and everything from roads to radio stations has "Citrus" in the name.