We could help each other buy massive computers!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macgeek2005, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 65816

Think about it!!!

There are thousands of Macrumors members.

Lets say that me and 3000 other members each give a dollar to a guy who desperatly needs a G5 tower. I would gladly do that! What is a dollar? It's just a dollar!

We wouldn't go crazy with this, cause then everyone would want a computer. We would need a judge who decides when someone needs one and when someone doesn't. For instance right now I would be ruled out because I have a G4 tower that is serving my needs.

I may sound like i'm crazy, but I'm sure that every other member on this site would glady donate a dollar if they know it'll buy someone a new Mac.

And if those same 3000 people each give 10 dollars to ten different people, there you've got 10 people with brand new 3000 dollar computers!!!

What do you think?

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's a pyramid scheme.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

It is not a pyrmaid scheme. Not at all. It's me finding a way to help people in this cruel world.

There's nothing wrong with this. It's a great idea. I'm ready to give 10 dollars to ten people who need new computers.

4. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, it's a pyramid scheme. It only becomes "fair" if everyone who contributes ends up with a computer, in which case everyone would have to spend the $3000 or whatever anyway. Unless people are just going to give their money away, which I don't see happening.

Why?

Given that anyone who posts here clearly has access to a computer and can falsify their situation (making their "need" seem more severe), I see no compelling reason to give my money to them.

You, of course, are welcome to buy as many people computers as you'd like.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

*sigh*, well I was ready to make other people happy, without thought of what i'd get out of it, but I guess this world is meaner that I thought.

6. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I think a potentially more succesful approach to cheaper costs by collective action is group purchasing. I have no idea if Apple give discounts for large orders (i.e. 100 Macbook's, etc), and I'm sure that there is probably some obstacle to such bulk ordering, but I'm sure its been done before :confused:

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It is a pyramid scheme, and unlike the free ipod crap from awhile ago that was an annoying spammy pyramid scheme -- one like this that actually uses money, is illegal even if you limit it.

If somebody really needs a machine, they can resort to cyberbegging ...

8. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

this is a great idea! how come no one has thought of this before?? put me down for $10 for 20 people!!!!

9. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

It isn't necessarily mean, but you aren't going to get 3000 MR members to buy a computer for someone they don't know who just happens to post here. Doing so would be naive.

10. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Besides, nobody desperately needs a G5 tower. Food, water, shelter, things like that are far more worthy of desperation.

11. Guest

calculus

I agree, the word 'need' is used much too freely.

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd love too, but it looks like our friends would rather hold on to their dollar bills with their greedy money grubbing fingers.

I'm gonna be rich soon, and i'm gonna reward those who were generous now.

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd love to visit you when you go to prison for running one of these schemes.

But I'll probably be too busy running the collection scheme to make sure your cellmate is adequately supplied with condoms and lubricant.

14. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I do think that one could consider access to a computer and the Internet to be somewhat close to a 'need' nowadays to function well in society, but I agree that a $3000 system is far more than needed for that (try a $300 Dell) and, of course, anyone here already has access.

15. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you and me both, brother. that's ok, let them keep their money! they can't take it with them, and seeing as how greedy they are, where they are going after this life isn't going to be very pleasant, with or without their money!

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm allowed to buy someone a computer, okay?

And I will buy brand new $10,000 systems for those of you who weren't greedy *******s right now.

17. Guest

iGary

I already have a kick ass system, thank you very much.

OK, that was really arrogant, but given the stupidity of this thread...

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyway, i'll be going now. I was just commandeered to go and engineer a recording session on a Dual PowerMac G5 using Pro Tools.

It'll be the first recording i'll engineer, but I just took a class about it, so I think i'll be fine.

Talk to you guys later!

19. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

heck yeah! we're going to have to win over these greedy arses with out kindness and generosity. they will see that they can't win when we are buying $20,000 systems for people who truly need them!!!

20. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

You are being phenomenally presumptuous to call anyone here "greedy" when you have no idea whatsoever what an individual's dealings with charities, etc. happen to be. The fact that people don't jump onboard a buy-$3000-computers train more than likely indicates that they have common sense and not that they are greedy.

If you think people can be helped with a $3000 computer, then you probably have no idea how much better $3000 can be put to use in other ways.

Edit: why do I even let these things get to me?!?

21. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is a great idea.

And don't buy a computer for iGary. The chances that it won't be defective are so slim as to not make this endeavor worthwhile at all, sadly...

22. macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

We could of course all give $1/£1 to starving Africans or abused children instead?

23. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

we can buy computers for these horribly needy people if we want to! stop being so narrowminded!!

food vs. computers? easy call man! this is a mac forum!!!

24. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What an inane idea.

Yeah! Lets all send $1 each to 10 people.
    and instead of them getting $3,000 computers, the machines will cost $6,000 a freaking piece after postage, paypal charges and/or bank charges.

Genius. How to make money disappear. Should be a stage magician act.

25. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Doubtful, they'd probably decide that a better use of the money would be for solid platinum nipple rings. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.