We distort, you comply

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Welliwelliwelliwelliwell........

Here's an internal Fox News memo, written by the VP in charge of news.

How fair and balanced do y'all think this is?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

How is this a lame ass attack? For a news network that claims to be fair and balanced this is very incriminating.

All that is being done here is showing people the memo itself. Nothing needs to be said about it because the memo is enough. Maybe when Fox stops attacking journalism then people will stop attacking Fox News.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

What I'm saying is, this **** is fake. Just made up to attack FOx news

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

TV news is a business.

Fox News can put whatever news items they want on TV.

And they can also "report" however they wish as well.

Opinions of reporters and anchors are probably "genuine" in that they are as Right Winged as the news network itself.

If you watch CNN, and then FoxNews, Fox is always having some sort of over the top headline running, but both networks are running the same story.

its up to viewers to watch and listen and THINK, not simply digest.

I highly doubt this being fake, and even it if is I am sure its probably rooted in fact. As one would think that somewhere among the higher ups at FoxNews that it IS someones job to decide what is "news" today and how it is reported.

FAKE perhaps, but certainly makes sense.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This is probably not fake. There have been many ex-Fox News people to come out and say that memos like this got passed around all the time.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sure, but it's self-inflicted.

No reason to assume this is faked. It's been known for some time that FOX management issues daily talking-points. These internal memos have leaked out before.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Exactly, and it's not just FOX. During the lead-up to the 2004 elections an internal memo from ABC News Political Director Mark Halperin was leaked. Halperin's memo instructed his staff not to hold both sides (i.e. Bush vs. Kerry) "equally accountable" for their distortions of the truth. I don't know if any of CBS's or NBC's internal memos have ever been leaked, but it's safe to assume that similar stuff goes on there.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're surprisingly defensive of Fox News today.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did you actually read the ABC memo? It is no way shape or form similar to the talking point memos issued by FOX management to ensure that their reporting conforms to and reflects current Republican and administration politics.

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Surely you are not defending Fox? Even Pravda would seem a source of enlightened reporting compared to them. Fox is the mouthpiece of the far right.

12. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

So many typos in the memo, I don't think a VP would actually have that bad of typing do you?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i do, actually. either his assistant is an idiot, or he didn't have anyone proofread it.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

a misplaced apostrophe, and an errant cap...that's not that bad, really.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You might be surprised with how many very powerful people are horrible with the English language.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, yeah. I used to work with doctors who couldn't spell to save their lives.

No pun intended.

17. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I know some people who watch fox ALL DAY. Believe me, they don't know a single true thing about world events. Well, they might know something has happened, but they don't know the real reasons behind anything.:rolleyes:

18. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

I worked at a bakery for a summer. Most of the staff were in university and not one (besides myself;) ) could spell 'cinnamon.' It's amazing how illiterate a lot of people are.

19. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know, the other networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) are bad enough being under corporate control, and with their focus on relatively trivial stuff. But this is just highly unprofessional at best, and an example of systematic bias at worst.

You wanna be like this, call yourself Fox Opinion Channel. But don't use the word "news" in your title or in the descriptions of what you do. And for God's sake quit calling yourself fair and balanced. Fair and balanced my ass.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

With FOX, I've taken that to refer solely to skin complexion, pigmentation and checking accounts for some time now, and it seems to fit quite nicely.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and i've taken it in the spirit of neocon double-speak, like Clean Air Initiative and No Child Left Behind.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um, it's real. Since when do you defend Faux News? I'm assuming you haven't seen OutFoxed. Or that they won the right to lie. Not spin, not distort, not be partisan hacks... lie. You can say other outlets have a liberal bias all you want, no matter how much we could disprove that (as others here have numerous times) but Fox definitely has a neocon bias. And worse, unlike Air America who freely admit to being liberals and don't lie, they claim to be fair and balanced, but make stuff up all the time. And not just some of their people once in awhile. Consistently, with no repercussions. Actually it seems to be encouraged. Unlike Ted Koppel or Connie Chung, their mistakes got them fired. Nice double standard.

I can't find that report that said Daily Show viewers were more well informed than Fox viewers, but the title of this thread pretty much says it all.

23. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

OutFoxed is just propaganda. Again, these are all pathetic attempts to discredit Fox news for whatever personal issue they have. Its just like people calling CNN the communist news network.

And yes, I feel like defending Fox today. (no one else is) :) Well, yesterday...

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Why?

And, don't you wonder why so many people believe that Fox News distorts the news?

Like I've said ad naseum, the problem with Fox News isn't always their live reporting, but the relentless bias of the 'headlines' and the over-usage of various talking heads that is packaged together in such a way as to make an inattentive viewer believe it's all worthy news.
    CNN isn't a naif on this subject either, but just because CNN goes 'left' doesn't mean Fox News is serving in the public interest by charging 'right' especially as slyly as they do.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Just for example:

On the Fox News website, there's the main page. Each story has a headline, and then the small bulletpoint which contains a part of the overall story. Notice the one about Iraq hostages?

Where does the quote come from? It's not in the story, I checked. This quote just appears from the ether.

It's subtle and not that important by itself, but when you do this on nearly everything there's a constant and pervasive bias.