We don't have flying cars...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LethalWolfe, Mar 13, 2006.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

... but we have Big Brother.

Call it a recent pessimistic kick but on a whim I picked up "1984" last week and I'm gonna grab "Brave New World" on my lunch break tomorrow (monday). I'll probably pull "Animal Farm", "Cats Cradle" and "Fahrenheit 451" off the shelf and reread them down the line. Decades old books that are probably more relevant now than ever.

Clooney making "Good Night, and Good Luck" wasn't just a lark. This is going down the road of McCarthyism and "the Red Scare" all over again, but people can't see the forest for the trees and are so busy looking at "Democrat" vs. "Republican" that they've lost sight of right and wrong. 50 years from now people will look back at us the way we look back at America in the early 50's. At least the "commies" could turn the whole world into a parking lot 6 times over w/just the push of the button. That's something to be legitimately scared of, IMO. What do we have today? Terrorists that at best can only take out a few thousand people at once.

ugh.

/late night rant.

Lethal

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just out of curiousity, are you saying that people here (in this forum) are too caught up in D vs. R that we can't see the forest for the trees? Or that you are somehow immune from that, and are the only one who sees clearly? Or are you just making a general observation about the Average American?

3. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just making a general observation about the Average American.

Lethal

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Hey, flying cars are just around the corner and I'm going to get that cushy button-pushing job any time now. George told me so (Bush not Jetson.) ;)

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Actually, up until 2002, when Bush *really* started pushing for war in Iraq, I considered Brave New World to be scary-precient. Then, when I was driving home one day and heard a Senator on NPR say "We have to show Saddam that we are willing to go to war in order to secure the peace", 1984 loomed large.

I watched The Island last night (it's actually pretty decent, it reminded me of Logan's Run) and I noticed that we're nowhere near acheiving all of the cool technologies, like the jet-bike or the maglev train, but that we were really close to acheiving all the crappy technologies, like face recognition cameras on every corner and implanted chips to record our every move.

Our government keeps finding new ways to fix the symptoms of our problems (usually by restricting our freedoms, actions and associations) without actually solving the problems.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm.... reminds me of the current Krugman - Sullivan back-and-forth.

If you noticed this 3 - 5 years ago you were a shrill Bush-hater. On the other hand, if you didn't notice it at first, and supported Bush, then switched your position, you are a principled, stand-up type.

I just don't get it.

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

But you wouldn't want the wrong lizzard to get in would you?

Not to mention the fact that Flying cars are, in fact a NASA project. The effectively defunct Advance General Aviation Transportations Experiments program would have made the dismantling of the Airlines to Greyhound status a simple thing... until the whole 9/11 thing...:(

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I didn't notice until the beginnings of the Iraq war. Even then, it just seemed a stupid move, and I figured we'd still eventually find Bin Laden. But little by little things keep coming up. Torture, spying, secret prisons. I was always reluctant to say Bush was Hitler or anything so extreme, even being one of the few who agreed with IJ that we weren't fascist (yet... made the distinction pretty clear). I was hoping that people would start seeing us head in that direction, but it's been slow going. He still has a ~30-something % approval rating, which proves people are paying attention, but that's still about 20% too high.

We still aren't fascist exactly, but we're about as close as you can get before we fall right over that very thin line. What used to be paranoid fantasy slowing became believable cautionary tales. At this point, it looks more and more plausible. Hopefully, it won't come to that.