"We Don't Support That".....(#%@&)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Supa_Fly, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I'm sorry we don't support that, I'm not familiar with Mac, Unfortunately you have to contact that manufacturer (Apple) for further support". How many times have you called a company for technical support for a product or service that you use with your Apple/Mac? How fustrating is it that when you only need settings (general or specific) that you get only a limited amount of information and the support rep just recites one of the above frases again, and has barely given you what you needed?

I've noticed this quite a bit when working for Tmobile US (& other wireless/Cable providers), when using a phone as a modem, for Bluetooth connections. Information was in the database - per instructions to configure the connection - yet only brave reps would use it. Brave being it reduces their call handling time to just forward you onto tier3; but its a waist of your time that you just speak to tier2 just for formalities in less than 4 minutes. I meant brave when going thru the setup with a motorola phone - if you didn't know that modem scripts from 3rd party were 'usually' needed. Only once did I get BT with a V600 to work without those scripts.

Isn't there enough Apple users out there to justify support for products & services to support it? Whatever caused the Mac to be shunned in the business world? :(
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Ha! Most of us are used to that kind of treatment by now. Some people still ask me if Macs can use the internet.
  3. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    If your an American HP customer calling tech support about your Pavillion or Presario PC, and are lucky enough to speak with myself and happen to s shoot me a stray question about a Mac, I will go out of my way to answer it... Its and ignorance of the masses thing. People who have the experience or knowhow will generally answer your question if they can, but most times its their employer not providing their agents with the proper resource material or the business doesnt find it profitable to provide proper support for Macintosh...

Not that ive had to call anywhere for thirdparty support for peripherals i connect to my Mac(s). But calling my ISP for internet issues and my Linux server get my blood boiling...
  4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    My ISP, Adelphia, is pretty good about Macs, actually, so I'm not too unhappy about that.

What does get me is when I look for something as simple as a Christmas screen saver (or an anything screen saver), and find tons for PCs, and one for Macs...if I'm lucky.
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Is that how they teach you to speak down there in Jesusland?

Its funny, our internet went out one day, so I called up our cable company.
    I was told by the guy that Macs weren't supported. So I called back 30 seconds later while sitting at a windoze machine.

At least he was intelligent enough to say it wasn't "supported" rather than it just didnt work.
  6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    :confused: What're you, a Canuck?
  7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
  8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    There are a lot of sellers who are plenty closed and/or stupid as soon as they hear the magic word "Mac" ... Once I wanted to replace my DSL modem at home because my old one was not working properly and went directly to the ISP customer shop, I asked the man about the newest model (I have that at work and set up the network from my mac), he showed me a lot of CDs and papers about installation, offered me an antivirus service with them, then I told him I wouldn't need it because I use a mac, his reaction was

Ohh mac, this modem will not work with a mac, we don't support that, there is no software for mac and no drivers for the modem, I think your best option is dial-up :eek: ... I said that I already have an account with them and only want to replace my modem and that I have the same one at work, the guy said that it couldn't be, that i have to be sure of getting the right drivers for mac from the manufacturer... blablabla. I just didn't buy there, I was rude after all and said, Look, I'm not going to spend my time if you just want to complain about my computer and me, it's not my problem if you get it or not, but your modem works with my mac and I want one, I won't get it here, bye. I went back home and after checking the old one, it was only a broken contact, I still have that one and have sent some letters to the ISP complaining about the service and that if they continue like that by every question I have I will cancel my account and will give bad references about them...
  9. KrysBaz macrumors member

Sep 3, 2004
    Wokingham UK
    We had a very similar problem with NTL (in the UK)
    They don't support Mac at all, mind you I'm not sure they actually support much.
    A few years ago when we upgraded the PC to XP, we contacted them as the drivers supplied with the modem didn't work, after a 48 min premium rate call they still couldn't help and advised I call back later when a "technical representiative" would be able to help, called the number they gave, and was an answer phone message advising that Windows XP was not supported!

That made me laugh and more than a little angry.
    Hey Ho. Life is such fun.

Thankfully with theMac, it was just plug and oh look I can surf.
  10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Comcast doesn't support macs either - and they only support Outlook express mail :rolleyes:

Its really quite sad - someone's been making the decision to keep things simple, I guess, so if you don't have a system that is compatible/supported by your ISP your out of luck.

One of the nice things about these forums, usually any questions can be answered....

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    I had a problem a few years back with Compaq. We purchased a new PC around the time that XP came out, but it wasn't shipping on new computers. So you had to send in a coupon, and update the O/S yourself.

Well Compaq didn't supply XP drivers for our modem with the XP installation CD, so I had to call Compaq. The rep told me that "I might have got XP for free with a coupon, but Compaq never guranteed me that XP would run on my computer... and maybe I need to stick with Windows ME."

12. kevin49093 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2002
    I've gotten support from Comcast in the past...
  13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state

comcast supports mac os mail and thunderbird...they helped me set it up on my mac over the phone.
    granted this was the tech support out of boston, not indiana....but it can be done easily.
    PM me if you have any questions on it.
  14. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    In our city, we have two ISPs. I have service with one - call it ISP#1, my son has service with the other - call it ISP#2. I'm a Mac loving geek, my son is a reluctant computer user who's business requires windoze. His kids have my old iBook and an Airport Extreme Base Station.

Recently, when they access certain web sites on either the windoze box or the iBook, they get an error message that their settings are wrong and naming my ISP - ISP#1.

Sonny followed the advice on the error message but couldn't correct the problem, so he called tech support at both ISPs who both told him the problem was the AEBS and the reason it was giving error messages directing it to ISP#1 was because I have a Mac and I use ISP#1.

I need to get over there and do the firmware update to the AEBS and that will likely fix the problem, but both tech support desks tell him to disconnect the AEBS because he will always have problems with it! Just wait till I fix it and give them a call :D :D

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My mother just had Blueyonder installed and, credit where credit's due, they provided it with 2 sets of instructions, one for PCs and one for Macs. Despite being one of the most untechnical bods around, she decided that it looked easy enough to do herself.

So she started to follow it only to come unstuck on step 1, plugging the ethernet cable into the modem. After a short panic, it transpired that the port was behind a sticker emblazoned with dire warnings about installing drivers before plugging in the cable. Of course, the PC instructions started with 'install drivers'... perhaps a small rewording of the Mac leaflet. Step 1 - disregard driver warning sticker... ;)
  16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I hate it when that happens.
    "I'm having trouble with <blank>"
    "Alright sir, what version of Windows do you use?"
    "I don't."
    "Sorry, what was that?"
    "I don't use Windows"
    "Yeah... uh... what computer doesn't run Windows?"
    "~sigh~ Good-bye"
  17. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    I never call support. I hate calling support. Use support websites, use forums, anything but calling support....
  18. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    It's gotten to the point that I just tell whomever I'm calling that I use XP. I know I'll hit a brick wall if I say "Mac". We all know Mac OS X can handle pretty anything, and when I need a setting or something, it's just easier to pretend to be on Windows.

I know it doesn't further the Mac cause by not mentioning it, it's just that for my own sanity, I'd rather not get all ruffled up with an ignorant CS representative.
  19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Used to it. I've had people say that Mac's don't use DHCP, that the internet is "different", etc., etc. My stock answer is "if you're being serious, better find another line of work, because they didn't seem to train you properly. Don't want to work for idiots, do you?".