We had to kill our patients

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 11, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes. Heard this on the radio this morning... extremely sad.

What do the most vocal right-wing 'pro-life' organisations have to say about this?

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I agree with this, because it is better for the people that were dying.

in my opinion of course

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I suppose it's the humane thing to do from a Utilitarian point of view.

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have no idea what I would do if I were the doctor.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

suffering that leads to death?
    or painless death?

its a tough call, but i can't see a doctor doing this unless the situation was dire, as it was.... still it upsets something inside of me, although it was probably the humanitarian thing to do.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Rough call for the doctors. I hope that no one sees this as an issue to pursue and prosecute. Sounds like they did the right thing.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The Modern Hippocratic Oath seems to give them the narrowest of margin for such drastic measure without violating their sworn integrity. "I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God." Surely no rational, compassionate group will seek to make this an issue, though I'm both leery and weary of professional finger-pointers, be they cloaked in political or religious garb.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I predict the administration will have a field day with this.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm surprised people aren't more upset, the nation as a whole is still not comprehending the extent of what has happened, it seems.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

shall i suspect the same kind of rationality that surrounded the terry schiavo circus?

12. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't think the administration will, but i expect the conservative media will respond.

13. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Ah! Too much controversy! Is that all this country is about anymore? :confused: :rolleyes:

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I share your viewpoint, but what is troubling is the fact that it never seems to be too challenging locating some overzealous prosecutor lurking in the woods, willing to make a huge issue out of events that do not warrant an aggressive response. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

From the people I've been talking to, most of them don't want to think about it.

But this kinda reminds me of the evolution debate. They don't want you to teach evolution, but it's on the NCLB test. To quote Cavey Jr. "they screw you coming and going". Bush and the neocons wouldn't dare make a comment about this. People are already blaming them for the disaster's aftermath in the first place. If they started in on doctors having to make tough decisions like this because of their perceived incompetence... I don't think that would go over very well.

16. Zaid macrumors 6502

Rather unenviable position those doctors were in. At the end of the day can anyone really critisise them for what they did.

Also must have been really hard on the doctors themselves.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd imagine the only thing harder would've been watching them die slowly.

Lethal

18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I believe that euthanasia should be legalized.
    With a checks and balance system to the ultimate decision.
    In this case, I don't judge the doctor one bit. It's almost like a battlefield triage. Had to make a call.

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

This is horrible. But I think they did the right thing in a incredibly difficult situation.

Edit: Just glad they didn't suffer. It must've been hard on the doctors and nurses :(

20. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

fwiw, a former roommate used to date an emergency room doc. he told us that the docs made those kinds of triage decisions all the time, due to limited resources.

he also told us that if it was between a white gunshot victim and a black one, they'd almost always treat the white kid first.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How finely tuned is that distinction? What's the score between a mixed-race kid and a semite? Native American and Chinese? Chicano and Puerto Rican? Just out of interest, you understand...
    ;)

22. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

he drew out the whole chart, but this was in the early 90's, and i don't remember most of it. i do recall, however, that brits were at the very, very bottom.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, thanks.