We just had an earthquake

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by xsedrinam, Oct 15, 2006.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I'm sitting here posting on MR in Quito, Ecuador, and the floor and ceilings started jolting and swaying. We've just had an earthquake. I've been in some before, so just guessing 4ish on the Richter Scale, going on how things shook and swayed. But, it's a very unsettling feeling.

There went an aftershock....7 minutes later.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Glad you're OK!!!!!!

We only get hurricanes out here, so we get plenty of warning.

I can't imagine going thru an earthquake. Ack!

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

And your internet connection's still okay?? Phew! :p

That must be pretty scary though.

4. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. Earthquake...hmmm, I'm still on line. Guess I'll just start a thread. :D

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I used to live in the Imperial Valley, right next to the San Andres Fault. We experienced earthquakes all the time. After a while, you get a feel for the ones you can ignore, and the others you need to take notice of. However, none are particularly pleasant to be in.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You know, I'd be doing other things at this point than sitting online...

7. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

You are not I. :)
    We've examined the buildings and street, so there doesn't appear to be any kind of damage. We're on the 4th floor so we probably felt more. They're reporting it on the news but no numbers. I've filed a report with USGS seismic and noticed there was a 4.7 registered today in Cyprus, which probably has nothing to do with the other.

Anyway, what else can we do? Thought I'd talk about it online. :p

8. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I felt an earthquake while "online" twice. Once here in Korea and another time in Kelowna, BC, Canada in the library. Both were mere echoes of strong quakes far away. I also felt a fairly lively one in Quebec City while waiting for the bus.
    The only startling one I felt was the time I was shaken out of the Land of Nod by a moderate quake while working far from civilization on the Queen Charlotte Islands off the west coast of Canada. It made the workman's sleeping trailer I was in sway mightily, like a ship at sea. The trailer was perched at the edge of a cliff on shakily stacked timber legs. No one else woke up, and I was not sure if I was dreaming or not, despite literally pinching myself.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's not too bad. Glad things are okay for you. They're always better when you're sleeping because you get the full effect, especially if things fall off the wall onto the bed. :D

11. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The humor of it (assuming there are no injuries or major damage) is that today they're electing a new President in Ecuador, so that's dominating the news. They interrupted programming to say there was an earthquake, "Ay, ay...", then went back to coverage of the elections. :)

We're so inclined to get to the first, obvious question..."how strong was it?", but they've said nothing of measurement. Edinburg Earth station reports a 4.7 on the northern coast of Peru early today. That's relatively close, but who knows right now?

12. mufflon macrumors 6502

over here in sweden the only earthquakes I suffer from are the ones that make me fall over while being severely intoxicated, strangely I'm starting to suspect that the two are somehow linked.

Glad you people who actually suffer from real earthquakes, hurricanes on a semi-regular basis are alright - macrumors wouldn't be the same without you.

13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Glad your okay. Im just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for "the big one" (darn overdue san andreas fault!)

I doubt my internet connection will still be here after that earthquake!

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My electricity goes away in a strong wind. I don't think it or the DSL would handle an earthquake. :D

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

so who's gonna be, Correa or Noboa?

16. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, I've spent a great deal of time in both BC and Quebec and never felt earthquakes there before. That's crazy!

17. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Somethings Up!!

Cyrus earliar (last night). Then Ecuador and now Hawaii has just been hit with a 6.3 this morning :eek:

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A 4.8 off the coast of Peru.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/ustwa2.php

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Something is always up.

20. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Let's blame it all on the North Koreans :) George Bush will like that. :D

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The Lord God is raining His Judgement upon the wicked and the lame!

just kidding

Although I have friends who keep track of little things like this to support their fears.

22. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Correa has been the front runner, but Noboa has closed ranks the last few days. If neither wins with an outright majority today, they'll have a run-off between the two leaders in November. If there is an election today, that'll be more earth shaking than the 4.1 this morning.

23. BrianSalts macrumors regular

apparently hawaii's had a pretty strong earthquake too.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Then they should download and install QuakeBar. It sits on your menu bar and flashes whenever the USGS records an earthquake anywhere in the world. That sucker goes off several times an hour! I figure, every time it flashes and I don't feel it, that's clean livin'.

25. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yes it has. CNN has the live feed from a television station in Hawaii. Right off the Big Island.