We need a Creativity Forum

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jun 26, 2002.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

We need a Creativity Forum where we can post images we have made in Photoshop, Maya, etc. Something more than just an Avatar Forum. Come on, a whole forum just for avatars when only a minute percentage of the Macrumors community actually can use them?!

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

bandwidth aside, the avatar forum was set up for the avatar contest. In future contests, those threads will be retired and new ones will replace them.

There's nothing stopping you from posting something you'd like to share in the community section, although you might want to pm arn and petition for an artwork forum. I'd contribute.

D

3. iGav macrumors G3

Re: We need a Creativity Forum

That'd be cool and all..... although I don't know how much the bandwidth would affect the site??

That said though I'm not sure how many creatives there are on MR, it seems to me that it is more of a techie site than a creatives one......

But hey I'm up for it......... it's always cool to see what people are thinking up..... :)

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

another creative here....

i think there's plenty of us.

here.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

I wouldn't have thought of that.

I think it's an excellent idea.

And so it doesn't sound like a wasted post, I think we should also incorporate our own rumor pictures of new Apple products (be creative, or credit someone). That would be interesting. :cool:

6. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Oh, ok, I was not really sure about the avatar forum anyways. Thanks for the explaination. I was thinking about something like an artwork forum, just because it would be nice to have a specific forum where you could share tutorials, images, and tips on how to make images and use the programs. Just whether or not there would be enough interest here to start it is something I do not know.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sounds good, but I do think that the bandwidth would be an issue. :(

8. iGav macrumors G3

If it happens though.... I say lens flare, horrible KPT Sucking Fish filters, and anything with a radial blur should be banned by the Good Taste Police..... :p

9. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

lol. :D

And if badwidth is an issue, could'nt you just host the image/file somewhere and simply link it in your post?

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

You mean plecos? I have two of them at home! :D

I'll admit that I have limited knowledge on how bandwidth affects a site, so let me ask: How does bandwidth affect a site if a new forum was placed in the boards?

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think the duke's right with bandwidth becoming a problem. A good solution: submit links to your iDisk and load in low resolution images... ;)

12. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I think they are more worried about uploading and including images/files in posts and how that would affect the bandwidth. Or am I completly wrong?

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no, you're right.

the forum itself wouldn't be a problem. just the images uploaded.

that said, would still be good. pics/movies could be hosted elsewhere and tips/tutorials/etc woudl be great.

igav- what if the effects/filters are used on a pic of eye in a dress? ha

lens flares can be neat in film....................

14. iGav macrumors G3

I think a creativity forum would be a cool thing..... discussing design, motion graphics, 3D etc etc....... I know that this can be done in the community discussion forum... but things generally get hi-jacked within 10 posts.......

Again though I wonder if there are enough creatives on this site to really make it viable......

I think if you're a creative..... (or have an interest in creative stuff) then post in this thread so we can gauge if it'd be sucessful or not...... if there're enough people I say we hassle arn..... :p

That's also an invitation to lukers........ come on...... we know you want to!! :)

15. iGav macrumors G3

I'll just have to check the pic of eye in a dress next to my bed....... heh heh :p

Seriously though.... lens flare has it's uses...... like in films....... but on print work..... it makes no sense unless it's on a photograph or something....... otherwise it's just tack city..... the same with some of those KPT filters..... :eek: :p NASTY!!!

16. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

im creative, im creative, count me in.
    personally i consiter lens flair to be a pain in the ass, but thats just my opinion, and im speaking from a non digital point of view

17. iGav macrumors G3

We hear ya!! :p

So then.... where's all the others??????? :confused: :(

18. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i overwhelmingly and vehemently agree!!! :D

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what up hitman! h town ...3rd coast in the hizzouse!

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, I couldn't paint, draw, or make music if my life depended on it, but I'm creative with what I do. You should name it an art or music forum rather than a creativity folder.

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, I'm moving to Houston! I've got an apartment down there, and am searching for a job!

3rd coast? Never heard it called that.

22. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i'll drink to that, lens flare can be ok in the right context, its all a matter of making it artistic

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

hey congrats. its a helluvatown.

watch the traffic man...its killer.

24. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

there will be no drinking to no lens flare up in here. i stand as the manifested equivalent of 3 buckets of water....when turned upside down i supply the reprucussive factor of forever.

dig it.:D

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

could we include links to mp3's we made and posted on the website or others like it?

i was in a band that made some mp3s but have no idea which tracks made it to the web...i didn't care for the analog recording results that came out

since i left the band and got married, all the other guys have kept the spirit and got two computers and entered the world of digital recording using some great freeware

they use a 933 pentium III and a 933 athlon which are better than analog gear (tascam/fostex), but they should get a mac to get the best sound i think