We Need to stop the Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stubeeef, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Wrong Man Executed?
    It is a mess, and needs to stop!

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it should be stopped even if they never made a mistake, but yeah, I agree

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We should get on this before Karl Rove finds himself in front of a firing squad, no?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bias against minorities, sloppy prosecution and wrongful convictions are why former illinois governor cleared illnois' death row a couple year ago.

a wise move, imo.

5. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Hmm, the death penalty is immoral regardless of its capriciousness. Murder is murder, regardless of how many hands the blood is on.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I think it is a major sign of a communitys advancement if they have a death penalty or not.The US is right down there with Iran and China.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Just to play devils advocate because its fun

I know that people on death row end up staying there for a while and costing a lot of money, but back to my point cause its fun.

Why get rid of death penalty? It saves space in prisons so that more are not made which costs a lot in tax payers money. If you don't kill people then you have to get them a bed, food, and all the other fruits of being in prison. Which then means more and more people in prison for longer periods of time, which means less space in prisons already around, which means need to make more prisons, which costs a lot of money.

Now what we could do is just ship them off to a random island, ala Australia and pretend they don't exist. Or do with them what the French did with Napoleon.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

why? i think life at guantanamo should suffice

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The U.S.A. was originally a dumping ground for English prisoners, as much as Australia became, after the revolt here. (The New Zealanders are fond of noting how their country was never a prison colony.)

Why not simply shoot to kill during the crime? It'll eliminate a lot of paperwork, public expense, and hospital/prison space. It's efficient and expedient.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Clive Stafford Smith has been on about this for years. The figures speak for themselves:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Stafford-Smith

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

even better idea than mine

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Well, it's an interesting theoretical argument, but it has no basis in reality. It costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them alive.

Other good reasons:
    killing is immoral
    the State should not have the right to execute its own citizens
    the legal system is imperfect and executing an innocent person is beyond unnacceptable

13. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Amen.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I find it very odd that so many people seem to find the Death Penalty an appropriate subject for humour.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Since I don't believe in the concept of a Hell after death, I really can't see the point of killing someone. There's no sense of punishment.

I'd rather see them locked up and losing their liberty with the ability to be able to reflect on their crime for the rest of their life. There is always the possibility that they might be rehabilitated sufficiently not to be released but to give something back to society. Killing them achieves nothing - it's a waste of another life.

16. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I'm don't think the death penalty is immoral/unethical. I believe there are crimes that deserve the punishment of death. I believe there are people who deserve to die. However, I am still against the death penalty - not because I believe it is wrong but because I do not believe it can be enforced without error and I do not trust any institution enough to possess that type of power.

I also believe a license should be required in order to have and raise children because the consequences of poor parenting are temendous upon society. Again though, I don't trust any institution enough to grant them that power.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gallows humor, a fine old tradition.

18. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

I like to keep it simple: No person should be allowed to kill another person. I apply that to everyone, whether murderer or fetus. Life is the only thing we are given in this world and we should be allowed to keep it no matter what. If someone poses a threat to others then they should be removed from society but they shouldn't be denied the right to live.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm no humanitarian. I'm in accord with the old-time lawman who opined, "There are some folks who just need killing." Some people are plain and simple "Evil"; there's no other descriptive word. "Crispy? Or, extra fried?" isn't just gallows humor; it's a justifiable attitude against those who've denied their own humanity.

But I'm against the death penalty.

Too many instances of "Oops! He didn't dunnit!" One is more than enough too many.

Costs too much for all those appeals, compared to Life Without Parole. And, takes too long. We've created a horrible system of suspense, as well. The emotional ups and downs bug me. If you're gonna kill someone, do it; don't jack'em around.

The death penalty obviously hasn't worked as a deterrent. Maybe you could get a Bad Guy's attention with, "Hey, ya wanna spend the rest of your life in a steel closet?"

Go to Tombstone, Arizona. Go to Boot Hill. One of the markers there says, "Hanged by mistake". Reflect on it.

'Rat

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's one of those in Gold Country in the Sierra Foothills... Hangtown I think the name was, now Placerville.

Gravestone reads "Lynched by mistake, the joke's on us." Talk about gallows humor. :rolleyes:

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Looks like we found a topic that cuts across some of the usual ideological lines. ;)

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Gallow can you go?

I hope that skunk wasn't referring to my post as humour. I meant it quite seriously. I think shoot first, ask questions later is a valid technique in law enforcement, esp. since our police in Central Floriduh aren't brave enough to stop people breaking the law under normal circumstances that wouldn't frighten a 12 year old.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

bouzozoku, maybe you need to import some "attitudes" from the Villa Acuña, Mexico, police. (Across from Del Rio, Texas)

Sheriff Jim Wilson of Shooting Times Magazine was telling cop stories at lunch today. While Jim was sheriff over at Ozona, Texas, a pair of young-guy burglars stole some rifles and hied their way across the Rio Grande. ("Otro la'o del Rio") Unfortunately for the burglars, the cops weren't clueless. Jim already knew the police chief in Acuña; he phoned; the guys were caught and the guns recovered.

While setting up the return of the guns to the US, the chief asked Jim, "Do you want us to kill them, or what?"

That's cold.

'Rat

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Exactly. Why mess with the paperwork? "Dead men don't talk." and they don't enter appeals.

We have the exact opposite here, though. A woman who murdered her daughter and one of her daughter's friends and gave brain damage to another of her friends was recently let out of her two concurrent 15 year sentences while her appeal was being processed.

Considering that the car was somehow headed backwards into the tree when it struck, it's a bit obvious the woman didn't have full control. She didn't have control of the car, either. The judge had delayed the case, allowed her special treatment, and finally, after she went to prison, let her out during the appeal.

It's sad that this is so typical of the state. Yes, I'm harsh, because law enforcement here isn't.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i think it should be left up to the family( so if it helps the family to have the killer dead, after he is proven guilty, they kill him) , if i died and my family had that chose i would want them to let the killer live. BUt my opion is strting to chage to no-one should face that( after this case ad such) i'll think it over some.