We never get what want

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stoid, Mar 14, 2006.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've been thinking about the history and current state of the computer industry and have come upon some interesting anomalies.

Steve Jobs - wanted power by bringing creative machines to the masses, instead he's a cool pop culture icon

Bill Gates - wanted to be cool by bringing useful technology to business and home, instead he's a powerful techno overlord figure

Microsoft - brands themselves primarily as a software company, however the vast majority of their software either sucks or is happily mediocre while their hardware branches (mice, XBox) produce a rather good product

Apple - brands themselves primarily as a hardware company, however their hardware is often lackluster in performance (though arguably in amazingly design enclosures) while their software branches (OS X, iLife) produce a rather good product.

We seem to have an industry abundant in misfits. :cool:

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I basically agree with you, but I don't think SJ is a cool icon. Yes to techies, but I know a lot of people who don't know who that is. (Pixar has a hand in his coolness), plus I think SJ has power :cool:

3. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Now that I think about it, those aren't far off. My favorites are how microsoft and apple have opposite focuses and yet wind up in each other focuses.;)

4. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Maybe not so much any more, but in Apple's early days 'The Steve' was practically a rock star in a business suit. Often featured in TIME or BusinessWeek, so much that the press made a huge deal out of the NeXT start-up, which turned out to be a conspicuous failure.