We not getting a new iBooks app?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Joseph H, Sep 20, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2013
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 5, 2013
    Oregon, USA
    It looks like the design team had to choose between priorities. Somewhere, Ive is looking at it and cringing. They'll get it updated, after the fires are out.
  3. macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Thankfully not (and I hope it's not in the works). There something delightful about the page turning effect. If you don't like it, set it to full screen mode. It was a huge selling point for the iPad.

It's hypocritical of anyone to think simulating sliding frosted glass isn't the "S" word (I've grown to hate the term as its been overused and abused) or simulating a 3D object with the parallax effect. Even the current iOS 7 human interface guidelines describe when it's appropriate or not - it doesn't at all exclude use of simulated real-world objects.
  4. macrumors member

Sep 3, 2010
    please wait for public releasing of Mavericks with iBooks for Mac. :D
  5. macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    Tokyo, Japan
    iBooks and Find My Friends are the two big holdouts from Apple .. :(
  6. macrumors 65816

Jun 23, 2012
    West Chester, OH
    If anything, the page turning effect will fit iOS 7 better as it more based on animation and motion than iOS 6. I don't really think Ive and the design team consider that skeumorphism, but the wood bookshelves will be removed to make the interface look better and more focused on content (iOS 7's ultimate goal).
  7. macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2012
    Maybe "We" getting a new iBooks app, when "we" learn some grammar?!? Zing! :D
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2013
    The Republic of Texas
    Good point, my biggest complain with "crap-apps" is they often fail to take advantage of the latest OS and here Apple has failed to deliver. Need to try harder Apple.
  9. macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2013
    Who said they'll be removing the page turning animation? They'll just redesign the icon and get rid of the wood (+ probably some new features )
  10. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2009
    ...and iMovie, Photobooth, and some other stuff.

But yeah, I'm guessing the new interface for iBooks will look like NewsStand.
  11. macrumors 68040

Apr 10, 2008
    I really hope not, newsstand looks horrible. It's like they just threw it together and didn't give it much thought. I don't mind because I never use it, but iBooks on the other hand I use all the time
  12. macrumors member

Jun 13, 2012
    I think it's probably ready, but won't be updated until the new iPads come out. iBooks is more of an iPad app and it will be more fitting for them to show it off at that keynote and act like its a feature for the new iPads.
  13. macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2010
    Page turning is the ultimate skeumorphism - mimicking a physical page when there is no such construct in the digital realm. If you want to be consistent with the removal of the yellow legal notes and green felt then iBooks should scroll in one continuous vertical page, just like a web page.

I for one like skeumorphism but I'm in the minority.
  14. macrumors 6502

Jun 28, 2004
    If they remove page turning, I won't update the app. I mean, the entire concept of "electronic books" implies skeuomorphism.
  15. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Sep 16, 2010
    Ky Close to CinCinnati
    You may be missing the point of iOS 7. The letters will fly in from the corners and form the words on each page. :D