We passed the test!

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Sep 27, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I read an interesting article in EGM magazine. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it. Anyways. In the article it says that the "special edition " games that were sold, were a test to see if consumers were willing to pay more than the standard 50 dollars for a game. And guess what? They sold well... A little too well. It seems that some "Special edition" games sold even better than the regular game...

And guess what some companies want to do for the next generation games... Thats right. Raise the prices.

How much do you think? Hmm...

TWENTY DOLLARS!

I don't know about you guys, but I think that videogaming is getting a little expensive. WTF are some people thinking? $500 for a console, and 70 bucks a game! I know production costs have soared through the roof, but they've got to figure something out. Thats INSANE!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford the luxury of gaming anymore :rolleyes:

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I don't think nintendo will raise the prices (at least i hope they don't)

And special editions normally are good, i normally buy the special editions of Animes because they come with extras (like art sketches or pins etc etc.) If the special edition games come with special things then sure i don't *mind* paying for it if i like the game.

But if it is just the game and instructions then basically screw it i want the low price because i have gotten used to games costing 52.49 including tax :p

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wow, yall have cheap tax :p over here it's $53.94. the only special edition i have is halo 2, because it was only $55. i sorta with i'd gotten half-life 2 special edition because it included a t-shirt and a bunch of extras although it was like $80. with halo all i got was a metal box and a dvd of stuff which i've never watched (watched at friend's house) :D

4. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I agree. I bought Halo 2 special edition :eek:

But this is total crap! Videogames are getting too expensive! Its going to be a sad day when people won't be able to afford videogames anymore. HELP US NINTENDO!

5. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Special edition sales did screw us over. But, it may very well back fire. 360 launches with $70 game, and there will be people who will buy this. But, the games will be pretty crappy. As launch titles sometimes are.

Sony will keep an eye on the 360 software sales. If they see $70 is really not working, they will keep the $50 mark. If thats the case, then Sony's launch will trounce MS' launch.

Nintendo; I honestly do not see them selling the Revolution games for anything more than $50. They will be shooting themsevles in the foot.

Basically, MS is the live guinea pig that will test this out. And I don't think it will work. I don't see stellar 360 software sales.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo outright said they won't be raising the prices because their system will be cheapest to develop for.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I wouldn't mind so much if they actually put out some decent games. I really havn't played much on the Nintendo front but just about every other game on any platform is... well, not all that spectacular.

I don't mind spending for quality but really the best game I have played recently was Half-Life 2.

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Funny how people are lauding Nintendo for cheap games when they stuck with cartridges for so long ($80 for a &$%# N64 game!?). :p But I think Nintendo's smart enough to realize what their customers want. Part of this may be overseas influence as well. Look at music sales, for instance, in Japan. It's almost a given that any CD release will have a special or limited edition.

Special editions are all well and good if they have something of content. I'm not paying $20 more for a game for three 5x8 artwork prints. Now, include a strategy/player's guide, then we're getting closer. That'd be great as games (and software) continue to pare down their instructional manuals since printing costs so much. When Blizzard (who in the past has been pretty good about editions, such as their BattleChests) produces something like this, it make me wonder...

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think it was Sony who originally pioneered the "no game over $50" idea with the first Playstation. Before that, it was really ridiculous - I remember paying $50 for Zelda: A Link to the Past, $60 for Drakkhen, and either $70 or $80 for Secret of Mana. For those of you who don't remember, those were for the SNES platform. I also have a vague memory of one of the Phantasy Star games (Sega Genesis) retailing at $110.

All that being said, rest assured that games will cost whatever price the market will bear. Of course, you can always wait a while and they'll drop.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I would have bought the Ultimate Spider-Man special edition if they had put it on GameCube, but it was only on PS2. Gah.

Apparently it has making of videos, interviews with Stan Lee, a bunch of readable comics on the disk and a bunch of stuff.

11. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I don't care too much about how good a game is or how much it costs to make. PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO AFFORD IT!

Game companies need to work out a budget or something. Just because it costs more to make the game, doesn't mean you get to consolidate it by jacking up the price...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

my girlfriend had a good point, after telling her how much Game are selling Xbox360 games for. she just asked "aren't games for kids?". i dont know how many parents out there are going to fork out £50 for a game. probably not many! i mean my brother was asking my mum for a 360 for xmas. she said "we'll see about it" but when she found out that you cant chip it yet (well, obviously!) and it wont play my brothers old copied Xbox games... AND the games cost £50... AAAND the only Xbox360 worth getting is the bloomin expensive one. she just said "no". and rightly so.

Games are shifting to more adult grounds now. and whilst thats good we gotta remember that kids play more games than adults. games are toys. they are fun things to play with when theres nothing else to do.

unless you really need help :eek:

im happy knowing Rev games will not cost much. They're using plain DVDs just like the 360. yet its predicted Rev games will cost just as they always have done from Nintendo; £25-30 online or £30-40 in shops.

I'm also happy that rather Nintendo limiting its special edition games by raising its money; they limit it by limited copies (if that makes sense). like the first 250,000 copies of Windwaker had the bonus disc. brilliant! doesn't cost anything extra for the consumer yet those who really want Zelda get it early and get the benefits.

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I think it's important to mention that video games have largely avoided inflation over the past 15 years or so. I remember buying games for my Genesis, and even the Nintendo before that, and the average price for a newly released game was $50. It really hasn't risen since, despite the rise in cost of materials and labor, as well as the now immense cost of development.

If we were to take that $50 game that debuted in 1990 and see what it would cost today using the inflation average of around 3%, we would get $77.90.

50*(1.03^15)

The fact is, games are REALLY cheap when compared to other items, because, for the most part, their price hasn't been adjusted for inflation.

14. katchow macrumors 6502

thank you. That was a serious fleecing.
    :mad:

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

On the other hand, they sell A LOT more of them now so the costs can be ammoritized (sp?) out a little more. Plus there are more players in the game, so there's a bit more compitition to keep prices down. Also, material costs for disc based games are WAY lower than for the old cartrige based systems.

One thing I am hoping for is that Nintendo gets smart and in conjuction with having lower (well, the same) priced next gen titles that they open up the development of SNES and N64 games to smaller developers by having an inexpensive dev kit available (just software, devs provide their own standard PC hardware) and an online store where N gets a cut of sales. This let's Nintendo still control the quality of the games, while allowing for small studio's and independants to produce some new and with minimal overhead.

I'd GLADLY pay $20-25 for a downloadable NEW N64 game (especially if Nintendo adds a library to allow these games to access the Revolution controllers special features), and $10-15 for an original SNES game. Realistically speaking, look at the GBA and DS games. They are roughly SNES/N64 quality games, and people are buying those by the 100,000's. They are relatively cheap to develop (2 guys can make a decent GBA game in 6 months if they work really hard), and they focus on good gameplay rather than spending $1,000,000 on HD textures and crappy voice actors.

Aside from some profit on dev kit sales, and some money from online purchases, they could also benefit from increased sales of SNES/N64 style controller add-ons.

17. katchow macrumors 6502

that's a pretty limited view. i think the big future of gaming lies in 'interactive cinema' genre.

thats too bad the 360 won't play your brother's pirated games. M$ is so mean ;)

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

AND it probably won't play my official Xbox games :p MS is mean!

to reiterate; charging £60 for a wireless dongle for a console that will play a handful of my old games on its most expensive console is a little thick.

19. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later. It sucks, but so does a median home price of $220,000 in a country where the average person makes just over $30,000/year.

Amortization, compounding, inflationary effects on prices, oh my! Glad to see some real financial analysis here (I'm a finance geek). I'm willing to pay more if I get more, plain and simple. If gameplay, graphics, experience, online, etc. are 40% better than old gen games then I can justify a 40% price hike. If not, forget about it.

From the previews of the 360 I've seen so far, it looks to be a system that "stretches" your game dollars farther than before. What I mean is, given the leap in Live functionality for 360, your games will entertain you for a longer period of time than old-gen games. If you play a game 40% longer than you would have, then the cost is really the same as before.

What would you guys think about keeping the price at $50, but having advertisements in games? Think along the lines of TV shows with product drops. Entourage on HBO has Apple stores, iMac's, iPod's, PSP's, EA events, RAZR's, Wega TV's, etc. I don't mind ads so long as they're relevant. What's stopping your character in a GTA-esque game from utilizing 360's custom soundtracks via his "Apple iPod Nano?"

Thoughts???

20. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm a big fan of product placement for advertising... I'm also a TiVo owner, so I don't watch regular commercials. I think that the effects of product placement is much better for actual products than traditional ads, however it is tough to use that model for a service or brand image type ads. Good product placement is almost invisable to the viewer and promotes a general feelign of "ooo I want that" without actually being told "hey, you want this"!

I'd be fine with characters using an "Apple iPod Nano" or consulting their Palm IIIc PDA for information (that was the most recent Palm product I could name off the top of my head... they need a better marketing department) AS LONG AS the price of the game reflects this.

A bad example is one of the newer Tony Hawk games. Now, I don't play skating games, but I did read an article about the very high levels of product placement in the game, much mroe than this professional reviewer had ever seen before. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but the game was the same $50 as all the previous titles and the competing games. So the producers were just making "gravy" money on the ads.

I also wouldn't mind seeing ads on games (again, only if the price was reduced) in the menu's or titles. Nothing that interupts the game, or that you have to sit through before you can play, but say a Coke logo in the menu screen... something like "Mario Revolution ... brought to you by our sponsers at the Coca-Cola Corp."

21. katchow macrumors 6502

no arguments here.

22. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What I dont get is that dics drastically lower overhead costs of producing a game. Plus, if its getting too expensive, then they have to rethink their strategy. 70 bucks for a game plus 400+ for the console is just wrong.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

last generation lready were at 60€ (plus some lower priced nintendo games at 50-55 €)
    and now the PSP starts off with a game price of 50€ ... up to 60€.. yes for portable games.. that are nearly the same prices like for some n64 games

and now another price increase... 70€..nobody gonna shell out _that_ much for lot of games

24. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

If there were any console where 50% of the games were worth thir cost, I would be poor.

Hickman

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

personally i can sit back in glee. I play my older games more than my new ones. I will get a Rev, possibly a 360 if the price gets to something vaguely reasonable, but i doubt i would buy many games. just the top ones and the running series. even cube games here cost a lot. i paid £40 for Viewtiful Joe -whilst it being a good game i still feel somewhat cheated.

they cant charge us for playing our old consoles so cheerio next gen and hello Nes and Mega Drive. *still gotta beat half the games on those systems anyways!