We really need a good church multimedia app

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Harry K., Oct 15, 2004.

1. Harry K. macrumors member

Hey! Our church really needs a good multimedia projection application. Right now we're using Sunday Plus from Prologue on a really awful emachine. We want a G5 but need good projection software that incorporates Bible verese, song lyrics, video, pictures, and so on for the Mac system! Please help me if you know of any good software at all. Price does not matter. Thanks! I'm at omega@dnet.net too.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think Keynote (or PowerPoint if it can handle video) should be able to do this.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Like Counterfit said, check out Keynote, it's a great presentation app that can handle all of your needs and the learning curve is minimal. See here for examples of presentations done with Keynote.

4. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Sounds cool to have this kind of material in a church. Over here in europe all we get is lights, heating and a microphone with some crap speakers usually.

Do you have screens as well where images can be projected. If yes you can project the worlds most famous and beatiful religious paintings in a church that could not aford that fine art.

5. bubbamac macrumors 6502

My church uses PowerPoint, and does all that you're asking of it, and more.

The only caveat - I think the video stuff is mixed in manually, there is a 'control room' somewhere, where they keep the a/v stuff moving along.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Keynote is only part of the package though. A decent example of what these programs tend to contain can be found here:

http://www.songshowplus.com/

Click on the "Watch Version 5.5 in Action" graphic on the left hand side. It is very similar to Keynote yet has distinct differences. It's almost like a Keynote presentation organizer.

This web site supposedly offers an OS 9 version of their software but I can't find much about it. Although under pricing there is reference for a Mac version. You might contact them and even see if they know of any other product that offeres an OS X version as I'm sure they get that question sometimes.

http://www.sundayplus.com/

7. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Churches and Macs don't really mesh well with me...Unless I am in church, and asking God to please let a G5 of some sort fall into my hands...

But yes, Keynote will do it for you...Or even...Powerpoint!

8. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the comments, I make look deeper into Keynote.

But the thing I like about our software now is that shows the lyrics and bible vereses and videos on the two sanctuary screens while I can control what it goes to next on the Mac screen. Or... I can even change the background picture or the words on the screen while the stuff is up there.
    Can I do that with Keynote? And can I loop video on Keynote?

9. iNetwork macrumors member

PC time :(

I do this for my church and we must use a PC and SongShow Plus software. It does everything you're asking for. You just have to sit down and learn the software. Sorry, the PC wins here. Also to display the presentation for the congregation and make changes on your screen you'll need a laptop or deskop that supports multiple monitors (not just mirroring)

B

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Keynote and Powerpoint are linear in presentation method. If you want to play verse 2 of a praise song again and you haven't planned for this you cannot do it without everyone seeing you scroll back to verse 2. There are shortcuts with SongShow plus that allow you to quickly jump to many different verses, a chorus and a bridge. Multimedia is also supported.

10. gernb macrumors regular

keynote has great potential for the future, but one thing to be aware of is that playback performance of video is substandard...doesn't matter how fast a computer you are using.

sad, since quicktime is an apple technology and powerpoint currently plays back quicktime MUCH better than keynote. You are lucky to get frame rates above 15 fps. if you are playing back video with audio you'll definitely notice. jumpbacks are not as big of a let down, but still disappointing.

depending on exactly what you want to accomplish, you may not be able to do it with a software only solution on the mac. i'm not a pc user, but the really developed programs for the purpose you are considering are available only on pc. media shout would be a good alternative and is much better than sunday plus.

you could also consider getting a video toaster from newtek. it's pc based, but has uses the os just as a host.

check with brian peat at www.thepeatgroup.com

he'll move you in the right direction.

11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i agree, technology has no place in a church. it's appaulling to walk into an ancient church to admire the architechture and it's been absolutely ruined with electrical wiring, electric lighting, 50's style P.A. system, and speakers along the pews. If they didn't need them to get closer to god 2,000 years ago, what's changed since then?

I guess that's not really the question however. My personal favorite multimedia app. would be a burning bush. Now that would be something. :p

sorry but religious multimedia apps are an oxymoron.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Yeah because churches shouldn't keep up with the times... stupid printing press, electric light bulbs, air conditioning, and such. :rolleyes:

13. macgfxdesigner macrumors regular

GREAT Multimedia Program for Church or Presentations!!

http://www.propresenter.com/

ProPresenter is a presentation system that utilizes two screens, empowering users to quickly and easily present slides on one screen, while controlling the presentation with another screen. For example, churches that display song lyrics on a big screen while a song is being performed live on stage can dynamically change the slide order for a worship song. Depending on the reaction of the audience, the band leader may choose to sing another verse, end the song early, or repeat the chorus several times. Typically these lyrics are presented through linear slide shows, but the limited flexibility of these programs make them very unpopular because of their inability to function dynamically. Our program allows an operator to click on a slide in our "Control Panel", at which point the projector screen immediately transitions to the new slide. What's more, the program supports QuickTime®, and can synch slides with an audio track for canned music presentations.

ProPresenter also allows you to change your backgrounds dynamically and, of course, you can integrate ProPresenter with your video production system to key the words over live or taped video....

Its really an awesome program that runs a Mac and really easy to use and can do it all. some case studies who use it is www.722.org and www.northpoint.org

Just my two cents.

Matthew

GOD ROCKS!!!

14. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Song Lyrics?

OK, Dumb question from the guy who was raised Catholic and has left that to worship on his own:

1. It sounds like we're talking more about a tech crew member at a rock concert than someone at a church service. Anyone care to kind of describe what happens in these kind of services and how the video fits in? I've had active protestants describe their masses to me before, but not a one has ever mentioned computerized video.

2. Maybe this is a really stupid question. How can a company who makes stuff specifically for this have song lyrics that match the lyrics each church uses? Don't lyrics of many songs tend to vary based on denomination and geographic region?

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I do it every sunday, and it is not out of place at all. There are certain programs that do what he is saying,(unfortunatly on a pc) but technology should be in church (at least mine). Service is very laid back and is in a more modern building (not huge). but i am trying not to get myself in a debate so i will leave it at, the software you are looking for is pc only.

16. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Whatever happened to hymnals? But hey, I'm Presbyterian.

Use a PowerPoint if you must and let the Scripture (and hopefully a great sermon) fill in the imagery

17. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Does your congregation know or care that price doesn't matter to you? Are the funds for this coming from them?

18. Harry K. thread starter macrumors member

They'll pay for it. Basically, we're looking at $600 and below.

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

What? Oh, not much. I guess you may not know that every meeting was held almost exclusively in caves early on. (And as a sidebar, the Apostles were all married)
    And I'm not sure that it's written anywhere in the Bible.. oh wait... Mark 34:19 - "Thou devotion, amidst the heraldry, must never be blessed with the use of any electronical doohickies, thus is the word of God".

"Multimedia apps and religion are an oxymoron"? How silly. I didn't know that there was a "rule" that detailed methods to praise God. My closest friend is a Lutheran Minister in Park Ridge Illinois. He took over an older parish that was comprised of mostly older folks. Using methods like the very multimedia apps discussed here, a coffee house, weekly Christian rock groups, and youth outreach, he and his wife have quadrupled (at least) the membership. His philosophy: It's God. Use the tools he made to spread the word. So why can't you just ignore those pesky wires and ask yourself why it bothers you so much? The architecture is still there.
    Oh, and he uses ProPresenter, Powerpoint, Photoshop, Word, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, and more.

20. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

Amen les kern! I am amazed at how some people think God views technology as inherently sinful! At least, that is what is implied. Does God need powerpoint, iDVD, or whatever to reach people? No. But I do believe that God has given us these materials to better reach people--to speak our language! God doesn't work in a vaccuum. He uses people and what they possess to let everyone know of what God has for them. Technology is a great medium to get more people into church, to get more people interested in it, and to get more people to learn more about God.

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you have air-condition in church ?...wow i never thought about that (neither about powerpoint etc.)

i love these threads.. they show i me things which aren't around here...

22. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Apples for Children's Ministry

I'm not sure about the inherent evils of technology in the church or not ("it's evil, mum, don't touch it!"), but I know that we in children's ministry are ever so thankful for technology and constantly marvel at the neverending uses for it in our ministries and evangelism. Sure, I even play Gamecube with my kids at church, after school and that. :) (Good heavens, sacrilege!) Heh, our head pastor at my church even programs for Mac -- he's created some church management software and such.

And thank God for my iPod too; it's incredibly spiffy to be able to cart around what would otherwise be a wheelbarrow load full of children's worship CDs wherever I go. Plug in my iTrip, I can walk around the sanctuary picking any and every song I want, and it automatically broadcasts over our sound system. Our website - made on a Mac, and will continue to be developed on a Mac. Kids will be able to play games, chat, email prayer requests, watch videos of last week's children's church, the whole shebang. Anything and everything they could want... it's like Nickelodeon's website, just cooler. And you'll just have to visit to check out how awesome our Vacation Bible School is -- and it wouldn't be possible without technology or Apple computers.

But the coolest result of technology in children's ministry? Behold, I give thee the Toy Box Tale.

Of course, speaking of the evils of technology -- there's the view that the Apple logo is a picture of Adam and Eve's first sin: a bite taken from the forbidden fruit. Does that mean Apple computers are more evil than Windows machines? :eek: