'We sell our songs through iPods, but we don't have share...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Oct 5, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G5

nagromme

Absurd.

Nearly all the music bought and transferred to iPods is from CDs, not downloads.

iPods encourage music listening, exploration, collection, and library management. iPods, in short, encourage music purchases--which for now means CDs more then downloads.

So if anything, Apple should get a cut of every CD sale. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile music is NOT sold through iPods, it's sold through iTunes--and the labels not only get a share of the revenue, they get most of it! Apple's barely breaking even on the downloads.

3. 24C
    macrumors 6502a

Absurd..ditto

It's like we want a share of a VCR sale, because we make the videos that go in them :confused:

Where does this 'logic' stop, who knows maybe the next thing will be the soap powder manufacturers wanting a cut on the washing machines :D

4. macrumors 603

wordmunger

It's NOT like MTV. MTV got content through the music labels for free. Apple pays roughly 2/3 of its iTMS sales directly to the record labels. The situation with Apple is as if MTV was paying for the videos and the record companies complained that they don't get a cut of TV sales.

I mostly use my shuffle for podcasts and as a flash drive. I'm supposed to give the music industry a cut of that?

5. macrumors regular

Apple pays labels 70 cents or more. Apple keeps 29 cents to cover bandwith and creditcard transaction fees. The labels pay for no distribution, promotion or stock, yet they still want more money.

6. macrumors 603

Stella

The iPod is Apple property. Why on Earth should music industry have a slice of iPod profits?

As has been previously said by other people, Oil companies do not demand a share of the motor industries profits...

7. macrumors 68020

dubbz

Every time I read about the record companies in the news, I get more and more annoyed! :mad:

If people just transfered part of their salaries straight into the record companies' bank accounts, without them having to lift a finger or do any work or make any product, they'd probably complain that people didn't transfer enough.

They should crash and burn and die.

8. macrumors newbie

Mr. Edgar Bronfman Jr., do you get a portion of the sales from CD players? How about tape decks? Record players? Car stereos? Radios? Speakers? Headphones? Cell phones?

No?

Then, shut up. You've already jacked up the price of CDs with your greed, don't touch my iPod.

9. macrumors 6502a

javabear90

10. macrumors regular

I'd really like to know just what a company like Warner Music Group actually does to earn money! They don't make the music, that's what the artists do, and they don't sell it, that's what iTunes does. It seems to me that the reason we hear so much from them is that 1) They have too much time on their hands, and 2) They know their days are numbered, so they're trying to do everything they can to delay their demise.

11. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

i'm also getting fed up hearing about this [bleep]! just to point out the obvious, it's not the ipod, but itunes... anyway... just for sake of argument, it would be very interesting to actually get people to boycott the music industry as a whole. i don't believe in stealing music online as a form of protest, but i do have another idea...

just for one day, do NOT listen to music on the radio, do NOT watch videos on tv, do NOT buy cds/tapes/etc., do NOT make purchases online from itunes/etc., and we might as well take it to the extreme for just one day. avoid anything that has music involved, period. cut out all radio, tv, don't go to any establishment that has music playing, etc.

it's a rather intense and not very realistic idea, but if you consider that it would effect everyone in some way, indirectly or directly. everyone from the greedy record companies, to the gap at your local mall, to radio stations and their advertises... you get the point. if we could pull together to achieve that, the record companies would be at the mercy of every business that is losing money that day... before the flame throwers come out, think about it and like i said it's not very realistic.

12. macrumors 68020

dubbz

They get their money from the artists, who are knee deep in debt.

13. macrumors regular

I said EARN money, not steal. ;)

14. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Umm actually they sell their songs through iTMS and they get a cut of each sale and that songs goes to iTunes which is free. So yah. I think Apple is being a real ****** for not giving the RIAA a share of FREE. How dare they.

15. macrumors 6502

I think they should be paying Apple, because most of the music is made on the mac. Same logic.

16. macrumors member

I dont buy any of the music that any of those Major labels offer anyways, so this doesnt bother me one bit. The only music I've bought off of iTunes was some Bob Marley and I also bought some christmas music last year, last minute, for a christmas party.

I dont understand why they (major record labels) expect part iPod profit. It makes absolutely no sense.

This is nothing more than a "who's got the biggest dink" contest

17. macrumors G5

nagromme

As a protest and public anti-RIAA statement, I think it IS realistic. I'll go farther and say a whole WEEK would be realistic. Most people wouldn't participate--but that's true of any protest.

With proper planning, a LOT of people would participate, and hopefully a productive message could be attached to that.

18. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Gas companies want share of all Fords sold? Energizer wants a piece of the digital camera profits? It's almost like they think we're retarded.

19. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

And suing children. Don't forget about that.

20. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

And dead people. Don't forget the dead people. :)

21. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Naa they would just blame their losses on further proof that pirating is rampant and that something needs to be "done" about it. :(

22. macrumors 6502

Actually, to manufacture a CD you have to PAY a royalty to the folks who developed the CD standard. Same goes for a DVD. However, for companies like Sony, they're part of the group. Same goes for making players, if I recall.

23. macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

So, if I want to listen to music legally, and not support the RIAA, where do I go? What do I listen to?

24. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Harvey Danger of Seattle just released their new album totally free to the world as a big F U to the RIAA.. even have lots of Anti-RIAA stuff in their site, shows, etc. They opened for Death Cab late last month and were in top form. You may remember them from their song "Flagpole Sitta"

Anyway, they, and anyone else not associated with the RIAA knows that bands make nothing from CD's, or the RIAA especially, and that the RIAA is nothing more than a crime syndicate, so they gave the album away for free in hopes that you'll come to their shows, which is where they actually earn a living.

So, live smart and pure, grab their album from the Harvey Danger Site and let the RIAA know that you don't condone criminal activity, even when it's bought and paid for through the "US Congress"

25. 271
    macrumors member

f@#king ridiculous. the record industry should kiss apple's behind for coming up w/a download solution that people want to use and are willing to pay for.

Did sony give a share of revenues from the walkman to the record industry???

absurd. these morons in the record industry still dont get it. they just dont understand how things are shifting from a piece of something (CD, vinyl) to a bunch of bits on a server somewhere.

if record companies would fire some of those accountants they have running the show and get creative music lovers back in the captain's seat then they might get the general public excited about music again the way the ipod has! i know so many people who listen to so much more music and buy so much more music simply because they can easily take it with them and use up time here and there listening to music.