Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
MacBooks are made by ASUSTEK. Known for good laptops and desktop machines. Apple may not of requested this much thermalpaste, it may just be ASUS being stupid. I am mad at asustek too, because they made my MotherBoard,in my HpPavilion A500n, and not too much thermal paste, but none! NONE! I burnt my finger. So basically what I am saying here, there is a possibilty ASUS is stupid, and we shouldn't be blaming apple.:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Asus isn't building the machines, most likely, since they're not a Chinese company. Their sub-contractor in China has done bad work.

Still, in the end, Apple gets the money and they need to make certain that Asus knows that they have to fix the situation and they need to contact their sub-contractor to correct the problem. While it's not something unique, Apple hasn't had much luck with products being built in China.

Inexpensive shouldn't be cheap.

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
I'm sure ASUSTEK gets some of the money from sales.

However, it's difficult to know who's fault it is. Some bonehead at Apple might have told ASUSTEK to put a ton of thermal paste on the processors.
Or, some bonehead at ASUSTEK decided that however much thermal paste Apple said to put on wasn't enough, and added more.

Whatever the case, it think it is Apple's responsibility to make sure that ASUSTEK is making the computers according to design and making sure that the computers that they sell work properly.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Asus is building the MacBook but I don't think they make the MBP. There don't seem to be very many MacBook buyers who are unhappy about their machines. Not many even seemed to have that issue with the plastic, and only a few have reported mooing and whining. Asus has done a good job.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
Bottom line.... Apple has their name and logo all over it and gets the glory of building this awesome machine..... they also get the heat when the customers get too much heat.

ibooksux

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2006
First, Apple is overseeing (or should be) the manufacturing of all Macs whether they or some subcontractor makes them. Therefore, the responsibility for EVERYTHING lays squarely with Apple, as it is their name on the product.

But, it is really a matter of figuring out where in the manufacturing process things are going wrong, and what to do to fix it and prevent it from happening in the future.

It is my opinion that Apple has been very slack with QC in the past years.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
As long as were on the subject of who makes what, can somebody tell me who made my PowerBook? It says made in Tiawan on it. :confused: I know one thing for sure, this PowerBook has been VERY reliable. :)

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I don't have severe heat problems, do get some whine at times, (not enough in a silent room to irritate me, and any noise distracts you from it anyway). I do know though if a problem occurs, it's down to the manufacturer to resolve, which is Apple, whoever they contract it out too. If it isn't their actual fault, it's down to them to kick ass on behalf of the customers affected.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
imacintel said:
MacBooks are made by ASUSTEK. Known for good laptops and desktop machines. Apple may not of requested this much thermalpaste, it may just be ASUS being stupid. I am mad at asustek too, because they made my MotherBoard,in my HpPavilion A500n, and not too much thermal paste, but none! NONE! I burnt my finger. So basically what I am saying here, there is a possibilty ASUS is stupid, and we shouldn't be blaming apple.:)

I am pretty sure Asustek is not building the computer just the screens to the MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.