Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Francis Friday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn
Is anybody else thinking this?

The aluminum case design for Mac towers hasn't changed since introduced in '03. When changing over from the Powermac G5 to the Mac Pro in '06 the case design surprisingly remained the same. I like the aluminum grill, but it's physically a very LARGE computer & doesn't fit nicely in my desk. Now that the Intel Xeon chips don't need all those fans to keep cool, can't they shrink the size a bit?

I'm hoping to see something like this happen in '07.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005

The aluminum case design for Mac towers hasn't changed since introduced in '03. When changing over from the Powermac G5 to the Mac Pro in '06 the case design surprisingly remained the same. I like the aluminum grill, but it's physically a very LARGE computer & doesn't fit nicely in my desk. Now that the Intel Xeon chips don't need all those fans to keep cool, can't they shrink the size a bit?

It would be nice if it was a bit smaller and lighter, but they would lose the ability to cool it with large fans. Currently they use large fans at low RPM, it efficiently keeps the machine cool and does so quietly. If they change the size of the machine, they may need to use smaller fans, increase the RPM and increase the noise level of the machine.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Hope Dual Clovertown Comes In The Same Body. I Love It As It Is.

I really like the current design with two optical doors and four easy swap SATA drawers. I hope they don't change that. It's one of the most expandible Mac Towers ever. And it still looks like my DC and Quad G5's. :p

I'm waiting for Dual Clovertown so I hope the body stays the same this next round so all three will be a matching set. :)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006

ALL macs "surprisingly" (or not) remained the same design. why is it surprising? they don't want ppl to think now the Intel made Macs somehow too different

if you look inside of the Mac Pro, majority of the space isn't occupied by fans. there are like what, 2 fans in there? the interior is cramped with other goodies... so if you want a smaller tower, maybe you can hope they release another smaller tower, but certainly not make the mac pro smaller.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think the coolest use of all that extra inside space is the G5DriveBracket (which doesn't seem to have ever been adapted to either dual core G5s or Intel?). Five hard drives inside the tower case. Sweeeeet. What I never understood was how all that extra mass inside did not catastrophically increase heat inside the case? Although the G5s were liquid cooled, so I guess the impact is less than it is with the air-cooled Xeons....

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
it's physically a very LARGE computer & doesn't fit nicely in my desk.

Try placing it on your desk. :D

I can't see how Apple could improve upon the G5 case design (it's like already so perfect!), so I like it as is, but then again I'm not an industrial designer.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
If you actually look inside a Mac Pro you will see the space is 100% utilized. How do you actually expect them to make it smaller? I think people need to remember the Mac Pro is a Workstation not a PC.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I love the Power Mac/Mac Pro case design. It's beautiful! However I do agree... a change once in a while would be nice. It has changed a bit, but nothing drastic.

stoid

macrumors 601
Well the B&W G3/G4 tower basic design, though it underwent many changes throughout it's life lasted from January 1999 - June 2003 or 4.5 years. It seems that Apple likes the current design better as it has undergone much fewer revisions in it's ~3.5 years on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac Pro tower remains the same for another two years. By then Intel will be on 32 nm and will be gearing up 16 or maybe ever 32 core processors. Bring on Westmere!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Here's what I think will happen.

WHEN Apple introduce 4 core cpus, they will keep the existing macpro design for a dual 2x 4core macpro.

---

They will then also ADD to the range a single 4 core macpro and that will be the one in a smaller slim macpro style case.

It will have space for 1 optical drive and 2 internal HDD's and a 8gb ram maximum in 4 slots.

----

The new 2 x 4 (8) core macpros will retail at just over the price of the current macpro and the 4 core will retail just slightly under current price.

This will be the most sensible thing to do overall.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Speak for yourself.

I LOVE the Mac Pro case.

If you think it's getting smaller, you're dreaming. Looking inside I can see an extreme lack of space. In fact, my PC friends with SLI 8800s have a much larger case than even the Mac Pro. Just as wide, but like, four inches taller. And they don't get cool handles on that monster.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
The MP is the finest computer I have ever used, and I have used a lot. Its' design is that of brute force personal Server. Its' aesthetics are in perfect harmony for what it is designed for. I would not change the appearance at all.

Francis Friday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn
votes are in

Well, well well....it seems everyone likes the current design just as it is. I wasn't saying i didn't like the design by the way; in fact, I LOVE it....just was wondering if anyone thought they might make the tower dimensions a little smaller. I have a G4 and am planning on buying a new Mac Pro this summer. Can't wait for 10.5!

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I like the mock up, but the reflection has a grill!

it's magical!

the case actually have the grill for cooling... but some imaging system on the exterior of the case make the grill not show... matter of fact, it can make it look like anything, or nothing at all (read: die another day)

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Who is the "we" that the thread title is referring to?

The current design looks cool, but looking cool is not enough. What we really want is 8 cores, and that I want to see someone dispute ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't really care about a new design, but it sure would be nice if it weighed less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.