'We will be able to live to 1,000'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Dec 3, 2004.

1. macrumors G3

Cool... then I'd get to see the year 2525! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm

thoughts? would anyone like to live for a thousand years? what would happen in countries like India and China both of which have ridiculous birthrates?

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would HATE to live to 1,000.

3. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not likely :rolleyes:

Good grief, how long will his beard be when he is 1,000??

Attached Files:

4. thread starter macrumors G3

even with Ms Knightley by your side??

5. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Even then :eek:

edit: wait...hmmmmm...lemme think about it...:D ;)

6. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Can they start with a nice CEO in Cupertino? ;)

Isnn'tt iit cooool tooo beee iin Saan Fraaancisssco?

-Damn, I have done this 1000 times!!!

:rolleyes:

7. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

1000 Years? Would you be able to remember anything from your first century of life by that time? It would be weird in many ways, but I wouldn't mind living several hundred years. And this has some great potential for space travel :D Taking 20 years to make it to a neighboring star wouldn't be that big of a deal - provided you could handle 20 years in a space ship ;)

D

8. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I don't think someone with a beard that crazy will solve aging.

Wouldn't it be a bummer if we turn out to be the last generation to have to die? People born only 50 years from now get to choose how long they want to live, and we never got to choose.

9. Moderator emeritus

sushi

You bet ya. I would love to live to be 1,000 years old.

One thing is for sure, one would probably have multiple careers over that timeframe. Can you imagine being married for say, 500 years of that 1,000 years? Talk about knowning your partner!

Or how about kids. If you have a kid when you are 100, and they have a kid when they are 100, and that pattern follows, you would end up being a great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather.

...then again, what it this happened like it does now?! Hard to fathom.

Sushi

10. macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yes, good points. Or imagine you're just starting out in the workforce and you have to compete with someone with 500 years experience! :eek:

11. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

If I was able to live most of that time with the body of a 25-50 year old then I'd be all for living 1000 years. But if my body just got older and older and older and I started having all the problems (aches and pains and a cough that won't go away) of a 100 (or 500) year old then I say no thank you, I'll gladly die at 90.

God just think how 600 year old drivers will be! (joking, joking!)

edit:
    By the way, if everyone lived 1000 years we'd probably have a real big overpopulation problem.

edit edit:
    It would be awesome if for once I read an article before I commented on it.
    No more edits!

12. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Depends on what kind of state I'm in, I'd want to be physically able, mentally alert and able to enjoy Kiera on a regular basis. :eek:

Other than that, bring it on, if only to see what kind of advances technology makes in that time.

13. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hey hey hey hey hey hey hey, hold up there! :p

14. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

You'd probably want her physically able as well. :D Or not :eek:

15. macrumors 65816

blackfox

personally, I don't think it will be as easy as is implied, even if we did manage to fix the myriad of things that go wrong that lead to aging and death (a big if), then I have a feeling that Nature would respond and level the playing field somewhat.

Even if successful (or partially), I do worry about this being available to the rich and powerful more than the layman, much like genetic-engineering social strata popularized in Gattaca.

Whatever, I might finally have the time to learn all the languages I've been wanting to, if I only had the time...

16. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Mentally, it might be a challenge - because as you start to get older, you you have regular patterns of living your life and as many parents and grandparents know, the generation gap becomes an issue.

As long as there are enough people in your own age bracket, it would be ok - but think about having to deal with kids in 500 years - it wouldn't resemble anything like a kid growing up today...

D

17. macrumors regular

Maybe finally someone would have the expierence they're looking for to get hired as an UNIX admin!

In all seriousness, no way would I want to live for 1000 years. The only people who could really enjoy it are those who are rich beyond belief. For the rest of us it'd be just another 900 years of the 9 to 5.

18. Moderator emeritus

sushi

You might have to share! :D

Sushi

19. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Or the folks with their remember when stories.

Can you imagine one of these types with over 800 years worth of stories. It would be enough to drive one crazy!

Sushi

20. macrumors 601

stoid

If life spans entered many hundreds of years, it would be obvious which people were dying young from smoking. Tobacco companies might finally going out of business for their slow poisoning of society.

21. macrumors 604

ravenvii

I totally wouldn't mind living 1,000 years! Imagine the history that would happen during that time! And maybe when I'm 200, they'll figure out how to extend that to 50,000 years!...

Ok, maybe that's just too long. :D

About the 9 to 5 thing... if you're smart, you will get a good education and get a job that's over $100,000 a year. Now, live like a poor SOB. And put that money into places where it will earn good interest. Now, work for about 20 years, and you get about $2 million if you're good. Now quit your job, and live off your interest earnings of $2-4 hundred thousand a year.

22. macrumors P6

wdlove

It would be quit a feat to live to be a 1000! I don't see this occurring anytime soon. The more important thing than longevity is the quality of life. My preference would to be mentally and physically active. Medical science doesn't have the ability to cure any the of disabling diseases at the moment. Current gene research certainly has the capacity to begin tacking these diseases in the future.

23. macrumors newbie

Only 935 years until retirement. :(

24. macrumors 6502

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

25. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Great! Instead of wasting 12 years of our life in front of the television, we could waste 80!

Seriously, how many people do you see putting their 70+ years to good use? All it would do is give people more time to procrastinate!

Population control would get to be a SERIOUS problem... There are more people alive right now on earth than the total of all people who have ever lived before. Ouch...