We will never see powebook g5s will we?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AP_piano295, Jun 21, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Thinking mactel

We will probably never see a g5 powerbook I dont see IBM working hard to develope a product for a company that just dumped them. So every one who waited for the g5s may never see them.

Thoughts...

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have my doubts, but then again, Steve did say, "yet."

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

No way. Why pump money into developing a laptop version of the G5 when you can just pop a Pentium-M in it?

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Why would they give up, when they could keep working hard and earn every last cent before apple "ditches" them.

5. irok macrumors newbie

well we all know the intel-mac transitions will take place slowly.

why bring out a g5 notebook, when the ibook is due for an update and when powerbooks updated 5 months ago. we'll be seeing intel-mac based computers and laptops within 2 years, hopefully in less then a year.

if g5 notebooks were to come out, it better be a g5 ibook :)

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

IBM may not give up, but Apple probably will. Apple have to redesign their laptop to hold the G5.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Yeah, I doubt that we'll see these either. I think that Apple jumping to Intel insured this.

8. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

People saying "we won't see a G5 powerbook because of the Intel switch" are probably looking at it the wrong way around, in my seeing. It's all speculation, but the way I see it, we're making the Intel switch because we'll never see a G5 powerbook, not the other way around.

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

some pc companies have intel and amd processors in both their desktops and laptops

apple currently uses motorola's g4 and ibm's g5 with a plan to use intel

but i have no idea if apple will solely use intel and dump the other two right away...if the transition is very slow, then maybe there could be a transition laptop with a g5 in it because i can't see apple using a g4 chip in their laptops for another two years if that's how long the intel switchover takes in laptops

but i think the transition should be fairly quick since the best advantage apple would have in using intel would be their pentium m chip which would increase ibook and powerbook battery times considerably

10. themacman macrumors 6502

probably not. This maybe be one of the great ppc products in the pipeline

11. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Heh...maybe now the "powerbook g5?" threads will start to disappear.

I doubt that IBM is going to put a lot of R&D into a laptop version of the G5...they have a willing customer in Microsoft for the XBOX 360. Three PPC G5s in a console means that you don't have to keep up with the Jeffersons so to speak in terms of maintaining the technology. The console won't be upgraded for a few years, so there's no reason to continually upgrade your processor line. That's not to say IBM will stop R&D for the PPC, it's just now going to be slower.

I, of course, might be wrong...

12. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Steve specifically said in the keynote that they have not been able to deliver 3GHz or a G5 Powerbook. What makes you think Apple would release a G5 Powerbook after he said that?

In the keynote Steve also stated the main reason for switching to intel and it was because of performance/power ratio. This is especially important in portable computers to maximize battery life.

Put two and two together and you can see Apple is making this transition for two reasons: to get some updated, fast portables out quick...and...IBM has been slow with development, Intel is faster

We will never see a G5 Powerbook.

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....oh, not again please....has this topic not been beaten to death a million times already? ....oh yeah!

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

And after all the articles die a slow death, there's still T-Shirts to deal with :rolleyes: Might I sugguest, "Root, hug, or die...Think MacIntel".
    X

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The G5 (Power4-UL) proved incapable of being put into a PowerBook or iBook .... so no joy.

The next generation chip, the Power5-UL, probably would have been able to be used in a PowerBook -- the Power5 added dynamic thermal/power management to the CPU.

But that chip was "delayed indefinitely" while IBM worked on sorting out the PPC970 and working on the PPC970GX/MP as stop gaps.

Of course the delay on the Power5-UL delay was unlikely to ever be lifted unless Apple payed an extortive fee (probably $100-250 million) to IBM to restart the Power5-UL development process.

The PPC970 turned into a lead turd for IBM, nobody but Apple bought it, when IBM hoped to steal a huge chunk of G4 sales (never happened.)

Basically without the large sales IBM was expecting for the PPC970, they basically walked away from future development of future chips.

17. panphage macrumors 6502

The 970s had all kinds of thermal/power management according to the docs on IBMs website.

18. xJus10x macrumors regular

I think they should call the Mactel version G5 for "Generation 5".

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly don't see a PPC G5 in the PowerBook. Apple is probably putting all its R & D into the Intel PowerBook. They just have 6 - 9 months to have a model ready for sale.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

PowerTune is not even close to what the Power5 is delivering.

Basically PowerTune just slows down the entire processor and uses voltage scaling.

Power5 goes quite a ways beyond that.

Can't remember what the dynamic thermal management included, but the dynamic power management includes clock gating to declock sections of the chip that won't be used in the next cycle.

Edit: the PPC970 is probable a one to a couple few thermal diodes. For the Power 5 -- "For the power management, there was 24 on-die thermal sensors, which use a ring oscillator controlled by a temperature-sensitive current source. If an overheat was detected, the processor repeated normal operation and stall frequently. If the first step failed to decrease the temperature, the processor reduced the number of fetch, dispatch and complete instructions."

Quickie on clock gating and 24 temperature sensors

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

my guess is they have been anticipating this move for a long time and i wouldn't be surprised if apple secretly had a working model(s) in r&d of what will come out sometime next year

generation 6 (g6) could be a good name, since g5 is the ibm chip, g4 the motorola chip, g3 by ibm and motorola, and g1 and g2 which are the 601 and 603/604 respectively were by motorola

22. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

i thought for sure it was on Monday.

23. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

i would be shocked & astounded if a G5 PB became anything more than an annoying, reccuring thread on Mac sites.

i hate that, though. Apple's notebooks are going to be pretty long in the tooth by the time they have an Intel chip in them.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

agreed!

there wouldn't be a switch if IBM had been able to deliver the goods