Weak iBook Battery

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by persianpunisher, Aug 20, 2005.

1. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Hey, I calibrated my battery, and my iBook gets like 4:45 hours MAX, even on the battery save setting. I only run safari, ichat, and iTunes. Whats going? Is Airport Extreme sucking away battery life?

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

4:45 is damn good, dude. When my PB was new, it only got like 3:30. Now it gets less than 2 hours.

Yes, airport sucks battery life. So does bluetooth.

3. Studawg7 macrumors regular

that seems about right, i have a ibook and i get about the same numbers.

4. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

there are a few people on here that get close to 6. I am actually getting 5:20 with airport on ALL the time, while playing Warcraft 3. How many times should i calibrate the battery?

5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Calibrating once every 3-4 weeks is good practice.

I can get a shade under 5 1/2 hours with Bluetooth off and brightness down to two bars on a full charge.

6. DCSMAC macrumors member

How do you calibrate your battery and what are the benefits of doing so?

7. DCSMAC macrumors member

O yea, and also, i got a brand new 12" ibook with 80 gig and 768 RAM. The one thing that has been bothering me is that the battery is not really flush with the computer when it is in place. Right under the sliver button where you open the lid, the edge of the battery creates a millimeter "ridge". Not really a big deal, but im worried that it might snag something and cause MAJOR damage. Should i bring it in to the store to have it looked at?

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

And with regards to the battery not being flush with the rest of the case.. hmm.. mine is like this too and I never really noticed it before.. however I don't think it's that big of a problem. What could possibly get snagged in such a little space?

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

AE sucks battery life but so does Bluetooth. If you're not using it, always turn that off. Also, when I use my PB, I turn down the screen lighting to under 1/2 way.

10. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

the thing is, i am ALWAYS using my AE, so i think thats why i cant get that much battery life, Oh, and my screen was on FULL brightness, that could have been affecting battery life as well. It still beats my dad's new Dell inspiron (2:30)

11. Mac macrumors member

Mac

There is a wonderful application called CoconutBattery that gives you the exact longevity of your battery. It counts the cycles you have charged it and it tells you how much loss your battery has experienced since purchase.

Truly a gem - and yes, it's free.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

12. aznsal612 macrumors member

Holy **** this app is blowing my mind.

Is it just me, or is this app totally revealing the fact that my powerbook is really 5 months old when I only got it about 2 months ago? Errrr...so it was made 3 months prior?

Just an odd little fact. I wonder how accurate that app is.

At least now I know when I'll need to replace that battery :)