Weak on Terror

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 15, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

I don't understand why the issues discussed in this article have failed to influence the opinions of many Americans to be more disapproving of the current administration regardless of their personal political ideology or party affiliation.

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I can think of a couple of reasons. First, not many Americans have seen this information, or seen it laid out quite this plainly. Now that it's hit the mainstream media in the form of the NYT, hopefully it'll start picking up steam. Second, people don't like admitting they're wrong, or that they were duped. Third, people don't care. All they know is that the government is doing something, and as long as they can still get cheap gas and watch Friends on Thursdays, they're fine with whatever happens.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

then i suppose things are about to change :)

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm waiting very impatiently for Michael Moore's documentary about Bush's connections to the Saudi royal family and 9/11.

We need an outrageous exposé on the fact that Bush has allowed the real terrorists and their sponsors to go free while concentrating his personal wrath on a piss-pot dictator.

6. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I havent heard about this? Do you have a link to any details? When is it due out? I now join your impatient wait.

7. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Juan Cole, a Professor of History at the University of Michigan, is often featured as a talking head on the subject of Iraq. He, like everyone else in the world, has a blog. (You do, too, don't you? -- if not, download iBlog).

He said the following today:
    This year, the Bush administration will put $1 billion into Afghanistan, an immense country devastated by 25 years of war . . .​

Instead of dealing with this growing and world-wide threat, the Bush administration cynically took advantage of the American public's anger and fear after September 11 and channeled it against the regime of Saddam Hussein . . .​

The initial outlay for the war against Iraq was $66 billion. Then Bush came back and asked for another $87 billion. He will ask for a similar amount again after the November election if he is reelected.

It is outrageous that Congress allows him to postpone this request instead of being held accountable for it. The Iraq adventure is likely to have cost the US nearly $250 billion by next year this time. The US is no safer now than it was before the Iraq war, since Iraq did not have any weapons that could hit US soil and would not have risked using them even if it did.

Let me repeat that. Maybe $1.3 billion for Afghanistan. $250 billion for Iraq. Bin Laden and his supporters are in Afghanistan. What is wrong with this picture?​

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's called Fahrenheit 911 and is said to be funded by Mel Gibson.

There are rumblings about it but nothing official AFAIK.

9. IIvan macrumors regular

Looks like W's bull---- is coming back to bight him in the ass

Lets hope so

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The horrible and outrageous statements against the Spanish people have some very insidious reasons behind them. First, it puts pressure on the Poles and the Italian to not follow suit, and second, it again reinforces the idea in the mind of US voters that a vote for anyone not following Bush's agenda in Iraq is a vote for al Qaeda. You can hear it now, "that Kerry is just like those cowards in Spain." Keep the lie up long enough and some folks begin to believe it.