weak signal on airport extreme

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Foxer, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I brought home a new 12-inch powerbook yesterday and conencted it to my airport extreme network. Lo and behold, the signal fluctuated from as low as one "wave" on the icon bar to as much as 2/3 of the bars - it never maxed out at the "full signal." I used to have a regular airport set-up in the same location and was able to get a full-strength signal anywhere in my house. Does anyone else have an airport extreme, and if so, are you seeing a similar signal pattern. Could it be climactic in some way? Anyway to boost the base station's signal? Also, does the signal strength affect the rate of data transmission - i.e., is a weak signal slower than a strong one?
  2. SBG88 macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    I don't have extreme, but, Dr.Bott has an antenna for extreme.
  3. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    I have an airport extreme base station and a TiBook with old airport. The extreme station works identically to my old Linksys wifi router.

That said I recall reading somewhere that the range for 802.11g was significantly smaller than 802.11b. If you modify the settings so the station only uses the "b" standard you might get a range boost.
  4. jethroted macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    The new standard is only faster. It has a shorter range than the old airport though. It seems stupid that they would make a standard that took such a step backward, but they did.
  5. SBG88 macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    80211b & g both operate at the 2.4 ghz frequency range. G uses a different radio technology to increase the bandwidth.

G does not have a shorter range. It has less non-overlapping channels (3) than B (8). It exists with b not around it.