Weakening... about to give in!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fingersonly, Jan 29, 2007.

1. fingersonly macrumors newbie

Well everytime I'm in the Mall, I'm drawn into the mac store.... I just fool around just a very little, then run.... But DANG! them thangs are pretty!
    Been thinking more and more about a Mac... and

a new system in on the horizon.

I recenlty got much more involved in photography, that led me to thinking more about a Mac. A couple of pro photograpy buddies I have been learing from use Macs and say they would use nothing else.
    But I have a myriad of questions.... won't ask them all here. plan to go to the Mac store with a list, do a demo... and start maybe negotiating the learning curve....
    But a couple questions here.
    My desktop pc is goes to a linksys wireless trasmitter that my wifes pc notebook runs at her desk in the bedroom for her internet access

Will this be a problem or huge hassle setting up when and If I go to Mac...??

Also where is the best place to start the learning curve? The store demo? any other sources to begin to understand the differences between operating a Mac after years on a PC

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Running any Mac side by side with a PC on a wireless network won't be a hassle. Naturally, if both of you are downloading simultaneously, then you'll be sharing broadband, but it would be that way with any two computers. Basically all you would need to do to a Mac to "join" your home network is to enter your wireless network key.
    Good places to start are here (obviously), check out Macbytes.com (they often have hint articles, shortcuts, etc), and also Apple's own support pages.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Two more resources...

There's a book by David Pogue: Mac OS X Missing Manual: Tiger

And what I found most helpful, personally: http://www.xvsxp.com -- this site is sort of a "shootout" between OS X and Windows XP, but in the process, it tells you how almost any basic OS task is done in one versus the other. I really liked it, and it smoothed the transition substantially for me.

4. fingersonly thread starter macrumors newbie

5. fingersonly thread starter macrumors newbie

one other question since I already have this tread... Trying to cram and learn as much as I can before I buy... not and urgent buy... any benefits in waiting a few months... I mean are there significant changes new models on the immediate horizon...
    I have read threads galore ... but more than most photgraphy.. recording forums I frequent the volume of stuff here is daunting...

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

We do not know what model changes may come along but if you can wait a few months you will at least reap the benefits of Leopard (OS-X 10.5) and iLife '07. Spend that time with a good book. Either mkrishnan's suggestion or the Switching to the Mac version if you are comfortable with Windows. Both by David Pogue. Going to an Apple Store is good. Go at some non-busy time when you can more attention or listen in on a training session. Best wishes.

7. theman5725 macrumors 6502

When I switched to Mac in July '06, I started looking at guides on Apple's website while I was waiting for the computer to arrive Because of this, I knew a decent deal of stuff when I started using OS X. After that, I just came here with any further questions. It's not really that different compared to Windows, as long as you have an open mind about it.

8. fingersonly thread starter macrumors newbie

9. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Play around. Poke around all the different menus and preferences when you get your computer, but no need to change things you don't understand.

When I got my first Mac, I learnt most of what I knew just by searching around here, or poking around the computer randomly.

10. tshakey macrumors member

just go for it and get one!! you won't regret it
    once you have it, u can play around all you want, use websites for a more informed opinion every now and then, its all very easy to do.
    i didnt even worry about not knowing how to do things when i bought my first mac, and there was on need to either

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    You mentioned "learning curve"

You've already learned the curve by learning windows...MS is soo much harder to figure out IMO...

I started on OS X, and I'm just now having to learn XP and all the overly complex stuff in the Office suite...uggh..

For Mac, just keep in mind that "yes, it really is that easy"

90% of what I learned about OS X I figured out on my own because it's friggin obvious and simple..the remaining 10% I learned from this Website.