Weather updates on a website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Aug 13, 2009.

1. geekindisguise
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I am designing a Family webpage that will just have updates a bookmarks, etc... And I thought it would be nice to put the local weather on it. I was thinking of using the same website as what I use for GeekTools but I don't know how that is supposed to work. I also would like to have a little image that shows what the conditions are. Maybe some Javascript that can replace "Partly Cloudy" to "PartlyCloudy.png" or something like that. I could make the images myself.

Thanks for the help!

2. ezekielrage_99
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

3. geekindisguise
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Is there anything that tells me just the temp. And conditions, like in GeekTools. Then I could make a js or php script to put the proper weather conditions image in place. How does GeekTools ONLY show those two things from that entire webpage?

4. SrWebDeveloper
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Yes. Visit here to see various API's where you can pull specific data fields from their database and do with it as you please. This is a little more complex to setup than a mashup (also listed on that page, need to check 'em out to see if one does what you want)

API = Advanced Programming Interface - i.e. SOAP/RSS or XML-RPC - you code sends commands to the remote server, processed, and the remote server sends data back to your code, you process and display it.

Mashup = embedded HTML or Javascript or RSS in your site, the author of the mashup typically controls the look feel/content, some have a few options but far less control than API

-jim