Weather widgets moving

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tonycpsu, Jun 18, 2005.

1. tonycpsu macrumors member

Anyone know why my weather widgets would move down 20-30 pixels from time to time on their own? I have two of them in the top left corner of my dashboard, and they seem to move down on the screen. I can't figure out when it's happening, it might be correlated with rebooting or something, but I'm not sure. Anyone else seen this? My other widgets stay put, the weather widgets just seem to want to, well, go south.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Why? I have the same thing but haven't applied the update yet.

4. skp574 macrumors 6502

Ditto with me too.

I have two weather widgets kinda top centre. Whenever I restart or maybe after a prolonged sleep, one of them always appears lower than the other one?!?!?

I have all the latest updates and patches BTW.

Not a major problem, but why should it do it?

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Then say thank you to 10.4.1 - I was hoping someone would pipe in so i could eliminate the security update. ;)

6. Lara F macrumors 6502a

It's done that to me as well, and I've installed the security update. The weather widget also tends to crash on me when I first activate Dashboard after restarting my iMac (I'll get a message saying so on my desktop).

Not to blame Apple since I'm sure it's Accuweather, but I've had some wrong graphics too. Last night it was about 8:30PM and there was definitely still light outside here in Pittsburgh, but my widget had already turned purple with a moon. Meanwhile my graphic from Puerto Rico was purple but with the sun out :p and I know it's completely dark there by that time.

Oh well, it's still pretty cool. But hopefully 10.4.2 will make it less buggy. :)

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i did a clean install of 10.4.1 and the waether widgets have moved since i set them up. it only a small distance and qite random. so far it never overlapped with any other widget so i don't care.

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You did a clean install because your weather widget moved down 20 pixels? :confused:

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

of course not. i did the clean install and some time later discovered the moving widget. it's just a funny thing to notice but i wouldn't ever worry about it. sorry for not being clear the first time.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My two weather widgets wonder, and I'm still running 10.4 – so I'd say the 10.4.1 update isn't guilty in this case.

11. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

12. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

All my Widgets are like that

My weather Widget sucks, it like 2 am and it still says it sunny outside??? My widgets also seem to do random things like not apper, resize them selves(the ones that can), move around, or appear outa nowhere. I think i am gona stop useing dashboard. It seems real buggy and its so damn slow.

13. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

mine to.

Mine move down and to the right....

Nuc

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I don't have that problem, still in Panther ;) :D.
    Now, I know what will get my time when I get Tiger, widgets position :rolleyes:

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Data problems are easily fixed with widgets by clicking on the widget then pressing Apple+R to force a refresh. Widgets on the bottom normally move when you bring up the "widget bar". The only other thing I can think of that would cause your widgets to move is if you have two monitors with different resolutions or if you have one monitor that you often change the resolution of.

17. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

None of those apply for me - it seems random. Doesn't happen very often but often enough for it to annoy me :(
    And my weather seems to be down again ATM

18. mooshoo macrumors regular

You know what else is whacked out? The Translator widget is completely messed up. I can't even enter text. I've done the whole routine with repairing permissions, prebind, etc. and it still doens't work. I've deleted it and reinstalled, no help. Don't get me wrong, it awesome when it actually works, which is like 5% of the time.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

MooShoo, check your PMs.

Translator widget mystery has been solved. ;)

20. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

The only thing I can think of about the moving is that the shape of the widget is not the actual border of the PNGs and HTML source file. Meaning, when it looks like it is right near the top of your screen, it is actually positioned off of the top of your screen. When you reboot or something, it may move it down so that its 0 coordinates for x and y are 'on the grid', so to speak.

21. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Nuh-uh. I have two Weathers in the centre of my Dashboard and they move around as they please, forcing me to align them again. Curses!

22. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Since day one (Apr 29) my weather widgets have moved every time I logged out/in or restarted. Once I get them in place, they do fine until the next time I log out or restart.

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There's a couple of "Weather Widget is not staying put"-threads around. I answered in this one:

24. mpw Guest

Mine have also moved about so they now overlap other widgets.

Also I deleted one widget window and then tried to put it back to see if this stopped them moving and the city I used to have "Jersey" is no longer in the menu.

25. mac-er macrumors 65816

BTW, if you are having any types of problem with the Weather Widget, you can submit feedback to Accuweather, who runs the widget.