Web-based kidney match raises ethics questions

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Oct 20, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm glad they decided to go ahead with it - we're talking about someone's life here.

My question is, why does the web site cost so much? Another instance of if you have enough money, you'll get good health care? I would think that if they charged a more modest fee, it would be fair to everyone.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

For what it's worth, economics researchers have determined that if organs could be bought and sold on an open market, there would be more donors AND the cost of organ replacement would actually be lower. Of course, that doesn't mitigate the difficulty of finding a donor to match the patient.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that organ donation is better left on a voluntary basis. The talk of lower cost never seems to pan out. There would just be too much greed involved. The real future might be in using adult stem cells to create new organs. The problem of organ rejection is a real problem. The side effect of treating rejection has the side effects of infection and cancer.

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hmm... Organ Pedlers Kinda weird

Makes me think of those urban legends of people waking up in bathtubs full of ice with one of their kidney missing. scary.

7. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

If greed saves lives, I don't see how it's necessarily a bad thing, although I'm with you on the stem-cell side of the issue.

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

The greed could lead to corruption. It could end up with only the privileged getting the organs. The current regulations keep the use of available organs on a level playing field.