Web Browser less than 15MB!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xy14, Jul 10, 2004.

1. xy14 macrumors 6502

xy14

Does anyone know of a web browser that costs less than $20 and is less than 15MB? I am doing a study and I am trying to compare them.

EDIT: I am going to show you web browsers that I find.

Here is a very simple web browser called iSurf compatible with OS 10.3. It is free and guess what: IT IS ONLY A 60KB DOWNLOAD!! When decompressed it is 200kb. Click here to download it.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I have some news for you... Safari and many web browsers for OS X that are under 10MB use Webkit. This is Apple's web engine, so any apps that use it are technically not self-contained browsers, but only GUI front-ends to the webkit.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I did some searching despite my last post and found these:

Dillo (search VersionTracker)
    Camino (uses Gekko [aka Mozilla] engine)

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I can't download it. I got a Forbidden message and then this:

Remote Host: [...]

You do not have permission to access http://justin.gq.nu/iSurf.zip

Data files must be stored on the same site they are linked from.

Thank you for using FreeServers

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...Do you mean as a d/l or after it is expanded? Mozilla Firefox is an 8.5 MB d/l but over 25 after expanded. Camino is over 20MB after expansion as well....oh yeah!

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Using WebKit, there's Shiira (similar features to Safari), TrailBlazer (innovative view of history) and a number of others.

You might find this site on Mac browsers useful.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

8. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

How big is Firefox? Thats a good browser. I looked at Camino, but couldn't try it because I currently have no access to my mac. I'm typing this with Cambridge Supertiger on my WinXP machine.

9. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

FireFox 0.9.1 is around 23-25MB, I don't remember.

Wait, people pay money for web browsers? Seriously? Damn, and I thought people who buy screen cleaning solutions are high.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

FireFox is 8.6MB, nowhere near 23 or 25MB.

[​IMG]

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...as I asked the above - is this person looking for d/l size or expanded size? Firefox *is* an 8.5mb d/l, but after expanded it is over 20mb.....oh yeah!

12. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I'm now using Hoyle Waterbunny. This is not a joke.

13. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Exactly.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Does anyone really care that their browser is greater than 15MB anymore? I'm assuming that anyone using OS X will have much more than 15MB of free space. Browser size, to a certain extent, is becoming a non-issue.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Opera is quite small (4.2 MB according to Mac OS X Software site) and is fast and quite good (ties with Firefox as my backup browser). Can be run for free in ad mode or you can register for like $30 for students and a bit more for others.

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

So Duff-Man has finally shut me up for a change...actually, no you didn't. It's 8.6MB according to the site, and 8.722MB according to Mozilla's download manager, not 8.5MB. So there. Keep up the "Duff-Man" style. :D

17. diehlr macrumors member

What is the point in gauging a web browser on the amount of disk space it takes up? What you should be more concerned about is the amount of RAM and VM it uses while browsing typical sites.

18. itsumo macrumors member

Maybe he wants to run it off a (very small) usb memory stick or something. It does seem a bit pointless though!

19. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I have to agree... With so many options available, who would pay for a browser? It just doesnt seem to make sense! It's just a waste of money, I mean, FireFox is free, and is one of the best browsers out there. It's always current, unlike that $35 "Pop-up Blocker" software people buy from Best Buy, Circuit City, and the like... People waste their money because they dont know what they're doing.

20. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Should browsers be free? Imagine where some of these modern browsers would be if there were some sort of monetary incentive for the developers.

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

If you're stuck on a very slow dialup connection and need to download a browser, download size would be a serious concern. (And yes, there are lots of people who don't have broadband, or even 56Kbps of bandwidth).

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Well, I like to think that Safari is a "modern browser" and the developers at Apple are surely getting paid. As for the Mozilla project, it would be nearly impossible to generate a fair pay structure for all the developers who work on it. So, I'm going to have to say: No, I dont' think browsers would be *significantly* more advanced if browsers weren't free.