web cam restrictions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by quigleybc, Feb 1, 2006.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I've been doing some research on Web Cams, cuz a friend of mine has one on his windows box and we want to chat...

Upon calling some stores that sell mac stuff I got the same answer over and over...."ummmm we have the iSight...."

Ya, well I will be chatting with ONE guy, maybe once a week, and he is prone to forgetting to pay his bills and his internet has been shut off many many times...so I don't need a $200 (canadian) web cam...I just don't. I don't care how good the quality is..

Also, I've read on these forums that the iSight can't always be used with other people on Windows machines using AIM...not sure about all that though...

The ONLY non overpriced web cam that I can find anywhere in the known universe is the ICECAM from Mcnally..it's USB (ya I know I need that USB web cam software) but it is reasonably priced and it's all I need.

Why is there only one reasonably priced webcam to use with macs when there are a million of the things for windows?

Ive never felt restricted as a mac user till now...oh well, I ordered the icecam.

who knows if I'll be able to use it with my friend on AIM....we'll find out soon enough I guess.
  2. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    I hear ya

yeah, certain restrictions are out there.

on the upside, marketshare is rising and more stuff will be compatible.

It would be nice if you could tell how the quality of the cam is / upload some pics or vids. I'm thinking about getting one for myself.
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    There are a couple of FireWire webcams that run about $100. There used to be the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000, but it's discontinued. It's still available from BestBuy for $80, though.

There is a plug-in for iChat (ichatusb?) that allows USB-based webcams to work with iChat and it works pretty well, as a friend uses it with the QuickCam Pro 4000.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    iChatUSBCam works with most USB cams - they don't need to be "Mac only".