Web cams

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BCS, Dec 20, 2006.

1. BCS macrumors member

Got a question. Father bought a Dell and wants to video converence with me. I don’t have a web cam yet. I have a MMD running os 10.2.8. What would be my best option. Thanks

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the only suggestion i have is to get an iSight from somewhere (eBay) and use iChat. two of my Windows-using friends have webcams and use Microsoft Messenger (or whatever it's being called now).

i myself haven't had much luck holding a successful (where there are no issues with the video or audio) a/v chat with a Windows user. either the picture is very blurry, the audio doesn't work at all, or both.

edit: forgot iChat with video capabilities wasn't available until 10.3. looks to me like you'll have to upgrade.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there an iChat version with AV features that works on Jag? Skype was going to be my suggestion, but it doesn't support Jaguar. Yahoo also does not support Jaguar. You might be able to use one of those Java-based, in the browser video chatting services. Otherwise, is upgrading to Panther at least an option?

4. glennp macrumors member

Yes and no. iChatAV 2.0 was released for Jaguar as a separate product when Tiger was released, but was discontinued about a year later (Oct 2004). There's not much mention of it on Apple's site but here's a link:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=673

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, I got into Macs mid-cycle Panther, but I seem to remember this. So issues of availability of legal copies aside, later versions of iChatAV (the Panther/Tiger versions) don't work at all on Jag. And that version of iChat is no longer readily available (I seem to remember it used to come with iSights once upon a time? It doesn't now, AFAIK). So again, unless the OP finds a copy of this somehow, Jaguar is a limiting factor... :(

6. BCS thread starter macrumors member

Guess I'll pony up for panther. Was trying to wait for the new quad pros and leopard before tossing anymore money at apple. Besides Isight what other cams would you recommend. Appreciate the responses.

BCS

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try doing a forum search here for the Logitech Quickcam series. A couple of those models seem to be prominent alternate suggestions (I have an iSight). Otherwise used iSights, notwithstanding this apparent issue with price exploitation because they are temporarily unavailable new, are a good option.