Web Conferencing Services For MaC OS X

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 29, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003

Category: 3rd Party Software
    Link: Web Conferencing Services For MaC OS X
    Description:: When it comes to web conferencing, whether video or audio, you need a service that works as well on Mac OS X as it does with Windows and Linux. In light of strong sales figures from Apple it is now more important than ever that your choice of conferencing solution will work with OS X in what is quickly becoming a world less dominated by Windows.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug
  2. Guest

Mar 13, 2008
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Cisco...I work for Cisco. I just used MeetingPlace for the first time last week.:apple:
  4. Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    On OS X? If so, it may be our setup that is causing us issues.
  5. macrumors newbie

May 31, 2008
    I am a Cisco employee as well and can also confirm that both Meetingplace and Webex are compatible with OS X. Now I do some issues sometimes with Meetingplace v5 not being able to join, but never have issues with Meetingplace v6. I actually use Webex exclusively now and it works flawlessly even able to use my built-in iSight for video.
  6. macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    $40 a month ? . No thanks. iChat works fine and it's free.
  7. macrumors newbie

May 31, 2008
    Peace - Wasn't trying to sell it. He was asking about support for Meetingplace and OS X and since Webex is another conferencing product by Cisco I let him know that it has support also.

On top of that. iChat and Webex are two totally different solutions. There is a reason Webex is $40/month and iChat is free. Webex is for the business user and offers many more features that a business would be interested in verses a home user. You are right that iChat would works just fine for you, but you are using it as a home user.
  8. macrumors newbie

May 22, 2008
    Thanks a ton for mentioning Glance! I work for Glance Networks and I'm glad word is getting out about our product; we have a huge following with Mac users.. I know you guys often get the short end of the stick when it comes to functionality so we're proud to offer a product that works in Mac OS X. I hope you use Glance and love it!
  9. macrumors G3

Jan 9, 2008
    Sunny, Southern California
    Cisco works, but the only thing that really brings it down in my book is the price. One of the company's I deal with is a "Cisco House" company and the price is freaking outlandish. Cisco works, but be prepared to spill out a nice chunk of change.
  10. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2007
    Can you elaborate on what Webex will do that iChat doesn't, since you name Webex the "business" alternative.
  11. macrumors newbie

May 31, 2008
    The big difference between the two is scalability. iChat is limited to 4 users in a conference if the bandwidth and the host machine has enough cpu power. With Webex this is a hosted solution and can scale to hundredes of users in meeting at a time. It is also possible to record your meetings with Webex and I don't believe that is possible with iChat.

There are probably more differences, but I am not an iChat user. Now as for the price, I wouldn't expect any home user to actually go out and purchase Webex or anyone that doesn't need more than 4 people into a conference and all Mac environment.