Web creator

Discussion in 'Community' started by P-Worm, Jan 19, 2003.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Do any of you know a web site design software that is free and compatible with OS X? I'm not to bright as far as coding goes, but I would like to make a respectable web site.

P-Worm

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...

Not sure what kind of free options there are beyond a simple text editor and learning how to hand code. Your best bet is probably to hop over to versiontracker and see what kinds of shareware/freeware apps are out there for web page creation.

If you're serious about getting into web design I'd recommend getting Dreamweaver. It's well worth the money.

3. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

No, I'm not going to be serious about it. I'm even considering getting .mac for its easy web page setup. I'm just planning on making a simple, yet good looking site. I want to make a site based around making good looking effects for video on a very small budget. I'll look around versiontracker.

P-Worm

4. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

A WYSIWYG editor for free?
    Try Composer (Mozilla or Netscape). It's not the best but it's 100% free and does a pretty good job of holding your hand.

If you're willing to pay go for Dreamwearver everytime.

And if you're serious you really need to learn the code whether you're using a WYSIWYG editor or not.

i_b_joshua

5. wwworry macrumors regular

Try Mozilla or the latest version of netscape. I always thought it had built in the best free editor.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Moz and Netscape have a built in editor?! I wasn't aware of that.
    How cool. I love mozdev. ;)

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya, check out the trials for dreamweaver or golive

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, since Communicator 4.x, composer has been available. It was part of the upgrade from Navigator.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i don't care if you're serious or not, learn some basic code. just a few commands, and the command structure, and a page source layout. No javascript or anything... just learn how to manipulate text, change a title, and make a fully formed simple page. It'll make much more sense if you do, as people tend to get very frustrated with HTML editors (it won't do what i want!) when they simply don't realize the inherent limitations of the code.

It would take you all of 20 minutes to learn a little code, it's not hard at all. everything will be much clearer to you, and you never know when it'll come in handy :)

if you'd like, PM me or email me, and i'll type a short list of HTML commands. just glance it over. seriously. :) then you can go off and do whatever you want with visual editors...

pnw

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

11. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're so right. I don't know how many times I've had trouble with Adobe GoLive or another WYSIWYG editor and found that it wasn't interpreting the HTML properly and I had to drop into the source code to fix it.

13. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Freeway is a free WYSIWYG editor - I am not sure how well it translates iinto HTML, but if you keep it simple, it might work.