Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I was doing some coding with Coda on my iPad the other day, when I wanted to open up the design PSD. And this made me realize that I'd absolutely love it if Adobe went and made a proper Photoshop or Photoshop Lite for iPad. Especially considering the upcoming iPad Pro. I wouldn't even mind if it were exclusive to the Pro. I'm planning on getting one anyway.

Even if Adobe released a slimmed down version of Photoshop. Something with most of the tools used for design. Personally, I think I'd only need the shape tools, marquees, lassos, and text tools. Layer support including groups, naturally. And layer effects. Maybe even some basic filters like blur, and a couple adjustment options like Brightness/Contrast and Curves. Though the adjustments aren't totally necessary. Rulers and guides too.

Even if they call it something else, it would be great if the native file format were PSD.

I tried using Adobe Comp, but it's just not good enough. At least not yet. It needs better layer support, for one thing. And I'd rather not have to do a pseudo-sketch in order to make a shape. I'd rather just have the regular tools.

What do you think? And who out there uses Pixelmator on Mac and iPad as part of a design workflow? Or another app that you enjoy, that can easily let you bounce back and forth between Mac and iPad?

I'm really looking for a design app with the above capabilities that has a Mac version as well. I guess the one thing that's kind of necessary in the industry is PSD support as that's very common when sharing source files.

I'm hoping iPad Pro will be the thing that enables developers to create some awesome and robust design apps. Even if they're exclusive to it (understandable because of the RAM).

P.S.
I'm really missing the Dropbox file sync feature from Coda. Anyone else? Shame they got rid of it. And apparently no plans to bring it back... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.