web design programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidwes, Jan 20, 2005.

1. davidwes macrumors regular

Hello. I am looking for a new web design program. Currently I am using pagespiner. I would perfer that the program ran well on an older computer. Also, does anyone know if pages can export to html?
    Thanks
    David

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Could you be more specific as to what exactly you're looking for in a web design program? For raw HTML editing, I'd highly recommend Taco HTML Edit. It's free, very fast, and very fun to use. If you're looking for a visual editor of sorts, you might want to check out Dreamweaver MX, though I'm not sure how friendly it is with older machines.

3. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

TACO HTML Edit

Howdo,

I found a cracker of an HTML editor last year called TACO HTML Editor. It is free and has some really nice features, including a directory view so that you can see all your project files in the same window. It also does syntax colouring for PHP, but not CSS yet. It has also just had an update. It seems fairly simple, so i wouldn't be surprised if it worked well on older computers, assuming you are not talking OS9 old!

You can find it at http://tacosw.com/index.php

If that is no good to you then head over to http://www.versiontracker.com/ and do a search.

Best of luck to you,
    ac2102

4. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

my needs

Hi,
    Sorry, here is what I am looking for. I do know html on a limited basis, I use pagespinner as a pure html editor, while using there examples to help guide me. The reason I want to switch is I want something that will help me be alittle more creative. I see other peoples websites, and I can't seem to figure out how to get that on pagespinner.
    Thanks,
    David

5. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

If you are trying to work out how web pages are displayed, take a look at the tutorials over at http://www.w3schools.com. HTML is just the basic design for sites now, with the majority of positioning and decoration being performed by CSS (you can find out about this on w3schools).

If you are looking for a free web design package, i believe that there is a basic WYSIWYG one included in the Mozilla package.

Hope that helps a little more,

ac2102

6. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

thank you

Hi. I just checked out mozilla, and its really really slow on my computer. I'm going to try taco next, and make sure to check out that link you suggested. Thank you so much.
    David

7. adam1185 macrumors regular

yes, pages can export to html although it doesn't do a very good job with a couple of the template I tried exporting. Things get pushed out of place.

8. davidwes thread starter macrumors regular

can you post some examples?

Could you post a few examples of pages to html? Maybe with a pdf of the orginal pages document? It would really really be helpful.
    Thank you,
    David