Web format, for both mac and windows ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by .Joel, Oct 16, 2005.

1. .Joel macrumors member

Hey all,

I encoded a small video clip from my cam corder to .mov and uploaded it to my blog. However, I noticed that this requires windows users to have Quicktime installed. Is there a decent format I can encode the clips to that will run in the browser window for both Mac and PC ?

Regards,

.Joel

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

uhh...flash? it's not incredibly hard to import a movie into flash and add a basic controller, and 98% of people have flash installed...
    otherwise quicktime is the best option because all you need is the plugin and it works

3. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

MPEG 1, users on Windows, Mac, and Linux can open these movies. MPEG 4 is nice, but users of Windows 98 cannot get the latest versions of Quicktime for versions of Windows prior the 2k version, therefor the same could be said for MOV.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

QuickTime is pretty good...

MPEG-1, as suggested, or just make them get QuickTime. QT will allow you to do fun stuff like use H.264 in your web site. Plus, it being free and everything, you're doing them a favor!

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is it "rude" to say, "hey people, if you wish to watch the .mov file, please download quicktime <link>here</link>" or to the same effect?

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I don't know about it being rude, but in general if I get this kind of message I don't bother unless I really need to see the attachment

7. .Joel thread starter macrumors member

I don't see it as rude, however I want to make it easy for the users. Only due to most people using windows etc that visit the site.

Thankyou for your input guys. I'll see what happens with mpeg1.

Regards,

.Joel

8. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

What about the Linux users, or the thousands of potential viewers using Windows prior to Win2k? If your site is commercial, you are losing money by saying. Not only would they have too get QT, but would have to upgrade their OS.