Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Here's a brief list of ways in which you can assure that threads created in this forum will be replied to and your questions answered in an expedient manner.
  1. Thread titles -
    Make sure you enter a descriptive thread title. If you need help, make sure the title indicates what you need help with. If you want people to check your site and report back problems, having "site check" in the title is a good idea.
  2. Getting help -
    If you have a design question or issue you would like help with, here are some tips for helping those who can help you:
    -Post a link to the page and/or sample code
    -Post a screenshot of the problem
    -Fully describe the circumstances in which you've tested it (browser & version, platform, etc.)
  3. Self-promotion -
    Feel free to promote sites you've worked on and get some constructive criticism of your design. Ideally, this forum should be used as a resource for developers and not as a means of free advertising.
  4. Validate first -
    If your question is related to (X)HTML and/or CSS, please use the W3C's validators to be sure your code is valid. If you don't understand the validator's results, post a thread with your questions as to why along with links to the page/stylesheet in question and/or the code itself.

(X)HTML validator - CSS validator
  5. Search first -
    This forum is equipped with a very robust search system that can be used to find previous threads that might discuss what you're about to post. Check that your issue hasn't been discussed before starting a new thread.
That's it for now. If you have suggestions for this list, let me know.

R

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
nice idea rower,maybe this will stop threads from being titled "help" or "why doesn't this work"

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
nice idea rower,maybe this will stop threads from being titled "help" or "why doesn't this work"

;)

I'm going to do something like this for the Help forums, too...where it's really needed.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Rower - excellent points on the posts asking for help. too many have nondescript titles and don't provide enough details to help. the first few posts are "wasted" on efforts to gather enough information rather than addressing the problem.

edited after i realized this help is not as broad as i had initially thought. anyway, sounds cool. i won't show my site because it's just too embarransing for its primitiveness...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by jxyama
Rower - excellent points on the posts asking for help. too many have nondescript titles and don't provide enough details to help. the first few posts are "wasted" on efforts to gather enough information rather than addressing the problem.

edited after i realized this help is not as broad as i had initially thought. anyway, sounds cool. i won't show my site because it's just too embarransing for its primitiveness...

Your help or my help?

If mine, please suggest ways to broaden it. :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Your help or my help?

If mine, please suggest ways to broaden it. :)

i realized that it was help for the Web discussion forum. (as opposed to a "general" forum help. ;) )

i thought your help was good, they are all good points.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by jxyama
i realized that it was help for the Web discussion forum. (as opposed to a "general" forum help. ;) )

i thought your help was good, they are all good points.

Gotcha. Helps are up for hardware and software discussion/help now, too.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I think there should be some sub headings for the Web Site Design and Development Forums like:

Site Evaluation
Code Issues
Design Issues
Program Issues
Etc..

Well if that's at all possible I think it would help a few people find what they need to post and were faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.