Web Hosting question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GeneR, Jun 3, 2003.

1. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

BACK STORY:
    I've been in the market looking for the best deal I can find for hosting a couple of websites of mine. Nothing too expensive. I ended up finding Lycos.co.uk had free web hosting (50MB, MySQL, Php, and a few other bells and whistles, I think). But this Monday, Lycos started to put this ugly frame on the right side of the page, so I began looking for free to very inexpensive hosting.

RESULTS:
    I went to the following places and found some good deals: SurpassHosting.com
    IonHosting.com
    ehostpro.com
    Northwindwebhost.com
    CitadelHost.com APEXware.com
    JabezHosting.com
    and
    AlphaOmegaHosting.com

I'm currently eyeballing the Surpass Hosting deals, however, I really haven't heard of any of these before. Can anyone recommend any of these hosts? Thanks.

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I use dot5hosting they have several packages to cater to your needs. They are easy to reach via email and quick to respond if you have a problem. They were actualyl recomemnded by this board, thanks guys!

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

ICDSoft is great, all the bells and whistles, $60 year, 330mb transfer per month, I forget how much you can upload but it's substantial. Great customer service.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm on dot5hosting as well, and have no complaints.

What features (PHP, MySQL, storage, bandwidth, etc.) do you need to have for the hosting?

5. Mr. Cool macrumors newbie

Have current dot5 users looked at:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150087 :(
    Dot5 is not as good as it seems, they hide many things, usually before they had forums open to customers , then after downtime started happening on many servers . servers got hacked etc :( , they took the link away from their main site :( so new customers cant see.

take a look about reality: http://forums.dot5hosting.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7

Its an active forum.
    I have sine moved to ehostpros.com and its much better with them, they always have live tech online. :)

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I agree that was a pain last week but i'm not ready to lose trust. They have always been good to me, the price is good and i don't have many demands.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The service has been great for me, not a single minute of downtime. YMMV, I guess...

8. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

try www.luxadmin.org
    it s really good and fast like *i don t know what .... *

9. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm.

Well, PHP, MySQL, storage, bandwidth -- all of those are the essentials. I would like the following specs:

PHP 4.x
    MySQL (at least 1 db, 3 would be ideal, hopefully more)

Storage: At least 50MB, more is always better since I am thinking about putting my director's reel up online for download at some point.

SSL - not so important. Don't really understand how to use it, to tell you the truth. However, if there was some way for me to use it to protect merchant transactions in the future, that would be great.

BANDWIDTH: Well, once again, I'm not really sure since I want to be able to advertise myself.

BACKUP: I'd like that they provided timely maintenance and backups of the sites on a daily basis.

FTP: Unlimited.

PRICE: This is important to me. I'm working on a tight budget so much less than $10.00/month ($3.00-$5.00/mo) would be helpful. Free would be ideal, but since I had that Lycos.co.uk frame advertising incident, I'm not holding my breath on that.

I really don't know if there's much more. That Surpass Hosting sounds good, however, I really haven't heard anything about them. They have a nice website, however, I don't really think that means much if they don't deliver on the service.

Hope this paints a better picture. Thanks!

:D

RE: Luxadmin
    What do they charge in USD? And do they charge monthly and/or yearly?

RE: ICDHost
    Sounds good, is that their link?

RE: dot5host
    That sounds good...sort of. I don't know what to make of the back-and-forth feelings towards this host as mentioned here.

Hmmm... More thoughts. Thanks, guys!

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thanks for the info GeneR. It makes it much easier to make recommendations.

One thing to watch out for with putting up a reel is bandwidth usage. If you've got a 5MB reel that gets hit 20 times a month, you've used 100MB of bandwidth on that alone. If you get flooded with hits, (because your reel is awesome, right?) you have to watch out for extra fees for going over your allotment, or users getting turned away.

11. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i don't have any personal experience with them (yet) but doteasy ultra might work for you if price is the ultimate deciding factor.

12. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

http://www.crystaltech.com

they have all the features i ever needed, no downtime, and the best tech support i've ever dealt with.

13. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Hmmm.

well i am at luxadmin. they charge for the normal user account about 50 € per month.
    i think we could arrange to get the price to 50 $ per year of course.
    ssh / telnet / ftp / sftp / php / MySQL / postgresql / weblog /...

14. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm. Good point.

Yeah, that could be a problem. Thanks for the thought. Hmmm. I'm going to have to do a little more thought on this. The entire bandwidth idea is still something to which I'm getting accustomed. A few calculations...

Thanks, everyone! It looks like I'm going to have to sit down with myself and make a few decisions. :D

15. djjasonbuss macrumors newbie

ive been with mediatemple.com for close to a year now, if you have time, check out their site and take a peek at what they offer. i wouldnt reccomend if they wernt anything less than outstanding.

jasonbuss

16. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

so here is what i can offer you :
    ( Luxadmin )
    for 4.5 $ per month or 50 $ per year.

50 mb webspace
    2 pop 3 users
    webmail
    webinterface to configure databases
    unlimited forwarders.
    2 subdomains
    ftp sftp ssh telnet
    mysql,
    mailing lists if you want to keep your visitors current.
    php perl cgi
    own logs
    own statistics
    email support
    phone support
    and no setup fee.
    that s the best i can arrange.

17. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

That's a really great offer, Maradong...A question though...

Thanks, maradong, I appreciate the offer. I do have few questions:

Bandwidth: what will it be per month?
    MySQL: how many can I have?
    ftp: is this unlimited?

I'm thinking of posting several quicktime .movs as my reel and to uses a few open-source php programs, so these are all rather important to me. Thanks for your help.
    :D

Gene

18. xj9000 macrumors newbie

1000rpm.net

i have used 1000rpm.net for a year now and the price is quite good for what you get. No real complaints

http://www.1000rpm.net/

19. GeneR thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Thanks guys!

After looking over the different groups, I've decided to go with drastik's suggestion. The price is right, and for $3.95 I'm going to be able to host 5 of my domains per month.

I'm still waiting for my registrar, GoDaddy.com, to process the transfer, but I'll let you know (if you want) how I liked it.

Thanks for all your help! :D

Gene