Web Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mikes63737, Aug 11, 2006.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I'm looking to get a new host for my website. I'm really starting to outgrow Geocities. Does anyone know of any Mac OS X or Unix-based hosts that support PHP and MySQL?

I'm looking at 1&1 right now, and their Linux Home and Linux Business packages sound good. Does anyone have any experience with 1&1?

2. Suzuki macrumors member

Aug 7, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I offer webhosting.

Basic package starts at £24/year.

PM for details. :)
  3. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I am hosting my site on 1&1 right now. I have never had any real problem with them.
  4. Moria macrumors regular

May 7, 2005
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I use www.k1z.com

Great prices and services. I don't think my sites ever been down in the year I've been using them. Great support too via phone and email. :)
  5. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2005
    There are actually quite a few threads on hosting, but my recommendations have always been TJR Networks or Myacen. When selecting a host, space and bandwidth shouldn't be your deciding factor, in fact if you are getting more than 2GB space and 50GB transfer for every $10 you spend each month you will probably be on a rather heavily oversold server. Instead seek feedback on uptime, download speeds and the quality of customer support. :)
  6. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

I found out that they have a 99.98% uptime rate - which seems pretty good to me. And they've got lots of awards on their awards page.

But, I think that I might try hosting my site with DynDNS from my house. I'm going to be getting a MacBook soon, so my mini can retire to be a web host.
  7. rglatter macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2006
    hosting your own server is reletivly challenging. Ive used Dreamhost but now im transfering over to bluehost I have never had any problems with either but the reason I had to switch hosts is some shopping cart software dosent work on dreamhost. I would actualy strongly recomend bluehost they are a smaller company and have great tech support and if you call them on the phone they actualy answer and talk to you. Once you sign up they call you a few hours after you sign up just to make sure that youve got everything figured out and that it is working ok, which I think is great.
  8. motherduce macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I second Bluehost...
  9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i always recommend A Small Orange. they're great, helpful, knowledgable and i've never experienced any downtime with them.
  10. Butters macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2006
    I second that, ASO are great and affordable
  11. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2005
    in the internet
    I have used 1&1 before, and I would have to disagree with your opinions on it. It was relatively slow compared to the host a close friend of mine started : Teccion Systems as well as lunarpages. I currently use teccion and lunarpages for my sites, but I would have to say I like teccion better because its a smaller company and they have the best support I've seen in the industry.

Whatever you decide is your choice, however I think teccion has a free plan...
  12. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2005
    Of of pure curiosity, could you point me to the source of that information? 99.98% uptime means downtime of just 0.15 of an hour each month (or less that 9 minutes). You may be entirely correct, but it is definitely not a characteristic typical of heavy oversellers.

If you are serious about hosting from home, be sure to check what your upstream speed is and that you are not violating your ISP's Terms of Service. :)
  13. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Thanks for all the responses. I don't really have the time to read all of the responses right now... I'm working this weekend helping my dad build a deck in our backyard. But I still appreciate it.
  14. yojitani macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    An octopus's garden
    I will probably sign up with godaddy in the next few weeks. I've heard nothing but good things about them from friends.. and it's cheap!
  15. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2006
    Fertile, MN
    I use geocities. It isn't very fast compared to other servers. I'm only sticking with them because it costs me 4 bucks a month and I don't get enough traffic to warrant upgrading.

My recommendation however would be Lunarpages! They are an excellent host and very fast as well as reliable.

GoDaddy is great for securing a domain name.

Edit: Everyone else that posted recommendations are excellent suggestions. Take your pick out of all of ours!
  16. abbottpc.com macrumors member

Apr 25, 2005
    I think A Small Orange is the only way to go. You get a great price per month with great features and excellent tech support. I always get an answer to any of my questions within 15 min.
  17. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    A Small Orange have the best support and nice, fast servers