Web (http or ftp) harddisk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by darh, Dec 5, 2005.

1. darh macrumors member

hi everyone,

I'm looking for a network harddrive that is accesible from the internet. So that i can acces my files from every pc that is connected to the internet. I know Lacie got an expensive solution for it with their ""Ethernet Disk". But I'm looking for an cheaper solution. About the space, I would like to have around 250 GB op storage space.

By the way, I also saw the "ethernet disk mini" from lacie's site but i couldn;t make sure if that one is also accesible from the internet, so if anyone know this i would be very thankful!

My apologies for my bad English, i'm from a non-english country:eek:

2. Blind Buzzard macrumors member

I converted my old PC to a in house network storage server with 1tb of HD space.

What else would a PC be good for?:)

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Your best bet might be getting an external hard drive for your computer, and then leaving your computer on with FTP/AFP/SMB access on, and the appropriate ports open on your firewall. That would give you the most flexibility with configuring the hard drive.

4. darh thread starter macrumors member

yes, i know about that solution but the point is I only have a pbook that i take with me most of the time so than this solution isn't possible I guess

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You could get a portable drive that you could take with you when you travel...which ultimately would be even more flexible than hosting your files at home...but if you don't want to carry anything, and you don't have another computer to host your files. you are pretty much either going to have to spend quite a bit of money, or go without.

6. darh thread starter macrumors member

hmm, so that ethernet disk mini from lacie isn't going to work also?