Web Mail

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Nicolasdec, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

do any of you know a good webmail system than i can add to my site.:) it dont need a very good one, just one than i can setup my POP3 e-mails. it whould be great if its a free version.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So let me be sure I understand. You are looking for a server application that will allow you to host webmail with your webserver, correct? Meaning you will be able to point to it in a web browser and read e-mail?

Poke around SourceForge. There seem to be some good implementations. Squirrelmail is popular and fairly nice. Also look at this:

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/06/1416223

3. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

4. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

5. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Its great, you can have 1,000 accounts all with more than 2 GB.

They let anybody in.

6. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I have a gmail account.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

8. besler3035 macrumors 6502

I think you may want to look into Google Apps for your Domain. I use it right now and it's wonderful. It's basically what you can get right now with your GMail account, but it uses your domain name and offers you free accounts hosted by Google. You get Calendar, Page Creator, Google Talk, and a customized start page among other things. It can do webmail and POP3, as you may already know. I currently have this and couldn't be more pleased.

9. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

how would google apps benefit my site??

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Because then you don't have to worry about managing the email. I use Google Apps for my own domain, as well as the domains of many of my clients that are small businesses. It's the GMail interface and all the great GMail features -- 2GB storage, instant search, conversation view (a big one for me), tagging, chat, Calendar, etc -- but for your own domain. You can even put your own logo in the corner. I have setup and used SquirrelMail, Horde, Roundcube (which is slick, but very beta), and others, but nothing beats the power of GMail and the convenience of having someone else manage the mail systems. Mail servers suck.

11. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

ok, I see. I also love the Gmail interface its the best webmail i have seen. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)