Web Page hosting from your Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Sep 16, 2002.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a cable modem, and I would like to have a webpage run off of my computer. I want a html document on my mac that can be a webpage. In other words I want to host a web page from my mac with out having to have someone else host it. Is this possible? All I want to do is setup a sort of File Getting Web Site that only i can get when my mac is on. Also is there any javascript or html codes I can put in my webpage so that you need a password to access a web page (on a company hosted site or ur computers hosted site) Is this possible? I could use some help, thanks! :D

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

go to system preferences, sharing, and if you're on jag check the web sharing box, if your pre-jag press the web sharing button. http://[your ip]/~[your user name]/ will be the address for your page (minus the brackets of course); plop an file named index.html into your sites directory (inside your home directory) and there ya go...pretty much

if you're in OS9, you can do it too...see the web sharing control panel

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

As for the password protection...I don't think you need it.

The IP address/URL won't be public. Only you will know it's there. Setting up passwords is easy if you are familiar with configuring Apache, but not applicable to this situation.

Besides, if you are just doing file sharing, why not just turn file sharing on and access your files that way? It will be more secure, and you won't need to update your webpage everytime you add/remove a file.

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Thanks!

I'd still like to know abotu login/password protection for ANY of my web pages. Does the login/password protection come in a HTML clipping or Java Script, help please. Thanks for the previous posts though. :)

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can do it by working in the Terminal to modify the Apache configuration file, create a list of users and their passwords, and then hidden files in each directory you wish to password protect.

I'll let the guys over at O'Reilly explain:
    http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/01/29/apache_macosx_four.html

It's not something to casually do...make sure you understand what you're doing in Terminal. Any mistakes could "break" your web services.

6. Choppaface macrumors 65816

try to stay away from javascript-based password protection. it's pretty easy to get around.