Web page opens funny blank page

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devilot, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not sure where to ask this... so I figured here.

I'm a fairly recent switcher running Panther on my Rev. C PB and Tiger on my iMac G5. When I try to go to some web pages w/ my PB, there is no issue. But upon viewing these same pages on my iMac, a little white page ends up on my desktop... I think it has something to do w/ those sites playing music.

Anyone know a simple way for me to fix this?

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Sounds like the web page in question is referencing a media file (frequently realmedia, windows media, .asx or .asf, etc) that Safari doesn't understand what to do with, so by default it downloads it to your desktop and it shows up as a plain white icon.

If you really want to see/hear what you're missing out on, you can download the plugins from the respective websites. I.e. if it's a Windows Media file, go to Microsoft's website and download the player. It's possible your iMac has the plugin installed already where your PB doesn't.

On the other hand, I think it's a good thing that Safari spares me from obnoxious unsolicited music or downloads. Put another way -- this is exactly how spyware and other crap show up on your Windows system.

3. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thanks for the quick response... I don't mind not hearing these songs... but I wish there was a way to disable it so that I didn't have to manually trash those icons.

Thanks for the info. Good to know. :D

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah I hate that too. It happens alot on LiveJournals when people have background music. :mad:

5. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

ARGH! Yeah, I don't really read any LJ's though, mostly xangas... I think that's worse because there are more teeny boppers that use xanga. :eek:

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

HEY! Watch who you call a teeny bopper!

Just kidding ;) Yeah I actually hate most LJs and Xangas....

"Oh yeah today I want to the store and omg jane was like no way and then tommy said what the heck and then bob and i like took off and that was so cool cause dave was like 6mm from kissing jane with a bag in his left hand while sitting on the bench. but yeah its all cool 'cause we i got home at like 12 at night and went to sleep"

ARG...THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY! :mad: :( :eek:

7. devilot thread starter Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hee. I'd love to think that my xanga is different, but chances are, it's just about as bad. Tsk. I do have a brain... I just fail to use it most of the time. :D

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Hey, at least credit me if you're going to quote from my site! :eek: ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.