Web photo gallery s/w

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by evoluzione, Sep 29, 2004.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i did a quick search and came up with nothing, so i thought i'd go ahead and get people's opinions on the best software for this...

i need to make a photo gallery on this website i've made (lfcny.org). now i'd love it if i could get it looking like the .mac homepage slideshow thing, but i've not much clue if it's possible.

how difficult would it be to customise it for myself? would a different program be a better choice?? I figure my options are either iView Media Pro or Photoshop's Web Gallery automated task feature. Is there anything else that would work???

thanks!

2. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I like this piece of server software called "Gallery", which is free under the GPL license:

http://gallery.menalto.com/

It's also nice, because someone made an iPhoto plug-in which allows you to publish photos directly from iPhoto to your web photo gallery:

http://zwily.com/iphoto/

I just started using Gallery, so I haven't had much experience customizing it yet - but it does include a bunch of different template styles and different options for things like how many pictures per page/online polls/visitor comments for each photo, etc.

3. tigers macrumors newbie

I used to use Jalbum before switching to Gallery, and I thought it was pretty slick. It has the advantage of not requiring any sort of server-side software like php or Mysql, etc--however this could be a pitfall if you want to do any sort of "advance" things like voting, commenting, dynamic pages, etc.

Another photo gallery that you may want to take a look at (if you've got mysql and php on your server) is Coppermine.

I use Gallery on my family webpage and found it to be perfect for my needs.

4. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    woah, thanks guys, but it all looks a tad too much for my needs i think. ideally i'd like to keep the same nav bar and header/footer etc that appears on every page of the site, can i integrate everything so the pics appear on a "regular" page??

5. JLS macrumors 6502

You can actually make a simple gallery using photoshop CS,

File > Automate > Web Photo Gallery

Its got a number of templates to choose from too.

edit:damn.. sorry I missed that you mentioned this.

There might be something useful on

www.hotscripts.com

Im sure you could find a simple php gallery then edit the look of the page in dreamweaver to match your site.