Web Saving HELP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LRick, Oct 11, 2006.

1. LRick macrumors newbie

Greetings all - I have been using this internet for over 10 years now, all with my trusty macs. I have ALWAYS been able to save my email messages and web pages to my desktop with no problems. I download loads of stuff quickly when online and then read it offline at my leisure. Suddenly I can't.
    Any ideas why or what has caused this asssteroid that is disrupting my universe?
    I am running Panther on a G4 with lots of RAM and drivespace. I use Safari mostly but also Firefox and neither is saving files properly. AOL tech is pointing their finger at Apple.
    When I save AOL mail, I just get a link to log onto AOL. When I save web 'complete', sometimes the associative folder does not download, and even when it does the page still doesn't open up. No new apps loaded, but I have updated iTunes recently. Don't know exactly when though for reference.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Rick

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How exactly are you trying to save things? If you drag an image from an open page in your browser to the Desktop, does it download and appear there properly? Do you have any download managers installed? :)

3. LRick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the interest,
    I am saving mail AND web pages by using the "save as" command residing under the file tab of the browser that's running. When the window opens to ask me where to save, I used to have "save as" options like "text only" or 'html' or 'web complete'. Most of the time now I am not getting that option.
    Firefox usually has it but the page that downloads (web complete) is empty. It saves my "page" along with a folder that contains the data which makes up the page. It appears that the folder has the appropiate data, but the page is not linking to it.

All deas welcome!!

Rick

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Cool. Do you have any strange internet plugins installed? As a start, I'd try opening a new user account and seeing if you can save web pages from there. This might help determine if it's a network settings problem or an application corruption. :)