Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Okay, I may sound stupid here, but I want to know so I'll ask anyway. I understad how to set up a web server using OS X Server. My question is, after registering a domain name, how do I attach that name to my IP?

this28

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
Minnesota
Shouldn't Need To...

You shouldn't need to do that...

Apache should be fine as long as you tell it to answer to the correct IP. If that doesn't work for you, let me know an I can look it up for you... I do this on Linux all day...

You can also set up a virtual host you know...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Web Server?

Originally posted by drastik
Okay, I may sound stupid here, but I want to know so I'll ask anyway. I understad how to set up a web server using OS X Server. My question is, after registering a domain name, how do I attach that name to my IP?

Where did you register your domain name?

Many places will provide you with DNS services. If not, you need a DNS Server for your domain name. At your registrar, you then need to set your domain name to use those DNS servers.

When someone types in your domain (example: macrumors.com), the computer goes to the registrars, asks "who is macrumors.com's DNS?"

Then it goes to the DNS and asks "what is Macrumors.com's IP #"

Then it goes to the IP.

So, you need a DNS and need to set the IP for your address to your Mac OS X Server.

arn

this28

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2002
Minnesota
This Is True...

That is what registering an Domain is. Getting a DNS lookup for a particular string to be mapped to an IP.

So, if you register a domain, they should have given you an IP. That is the IP of the web server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.